The Maryland State Police has been serving Maryland from above since 1954 when we acquired our first aircraft, a donated Stinson L5, two-seat, radio-equipped airplane. In 1960, we purchased a Cessna 180 and the Aviation Division was officially created. In 1968, we purchased a Bell Jet Ranger helicopter to transport injured victims to the hospital. On March 19, 1970, we performed the first civilian medevac transport of an injured patient from a crash that occurred on the Baltimore Beltway to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center.
Since that time, our equipment and our mission has evolved. Our Jet Rangers were replaced by Eurocopter Dauphin helicopters beginning in 1989 and by the current AW-139 helicopters in 2013. The single helicopter base has expanded to include seven helicopter sections statewide. We have transported over 150,000 patients. And our mission has grown to include law enforcement and homeland security support, search and rescue, aerial rescue and disaster assessment.
The Aviation Command is proud of its history and excited about the future. We continually focus on providing superior service to all of our customers. We were the first and we continually strive to be the best.