- Always follow and comply with safe operating practices and procedures.
- Independently determining parts required for each job and interact with the Shop Parts Department to obtain.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment. Assist in cleanup at the end of each day for tools, parts, and equipment.
- Applies knowledge that is acquired through formal training or on-the-job experience to perform one's job; works with, understands, and evaluates technical information related to the job.
- Work with Service Writer to assess customer needs, providing information or assistance, resolving their problems, or satisfying their expectations
- Manage concurrent assigned tasks, making effective judgments as to prioritizing work related activities and time allocations.
- Act with integrity, demonstrate honesty and keep commitments. Behave in a consistent manner, keeping sensitive information confidential and adhering to ethical and professional standards.
- Perform scheduled preventative maintenance (“PM”), DOT Inspections and follow up repairs on light, medium and heavy-duty vehicles in a Shop environment.
- Occasionally, travel and perform work at customer location.
- Perform routine maintenance such as changing oil, checking batteries, and lubricating equipment.
- Use hand tools, precision instruments, as well as Diesel tools, welding equipment, lifts and jacks.
- Document according to company standards and upload pictures of work performed, parts used, and all findings observed on Repair Orders (“RO”) using company issued device and/or Karmak application.
- Accurately complete DOT forms and all other forms of documentation in timely fashion.
- Maintain a high level of productivity and be able to work within or close to most Standard Repair Times.
- Communicate with Shop Manager and support team to obtain approvals on repair estimates, retrieve purchase order numbers and/or discuss RO findings notes.
- Perform all work in compliance with organizational safety, health and environmental policies, and federal regulations, to include OSHA, EPA, and DOT.
- Participate and complete all-in company required safety training.
- Maintain Shop assigned service trucks, conduct safety checks and daily pre/post trip inspections.
- Perform minor adjustment and repairs on various types of truck equipment including, but not limited to the following: Electrical/Brake/Cooling Systems, Starters/Alternators, Fan clutches, Engine electronics, Diesel steering systems, Engines (gas and diesel), Transmissions (manual and automatic), Clutches, Differentials, etc.
- Adhere to company policies, processes, and procedures.
- Diagnose, adjust, and repair various types of truck equipment including, but not limited to the following: Electrical/Brake/Cooling Systems, Starters/Alternators, Air conditioning systems, Fan clutches, Engine electronics, Diesel steering systems, Engines (gas and diesel), Transmissions (manual and automatic), Clutches, Differentials, etc.
- Identify problems, determine accuracy and relevance of information, using sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives.
- Inspect, test, and listen to defective equipment to diagnose malfunctions, using test instruments such as handheld computers and pressure gauges.
- Assist Shop Diesel Technician I with diagnostics.
- High School Diploma or GED preferred
- Must have valid driver’s license and meet Cox Automotive Mobility minimum driving qualification standards.
- Valid DOT Medical Card or ability to obtain one prior to employment or within 72 hours of hire
- Possess and supply a set of hand tools necessary to perform required job duties.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience as Diesel Technician on medium to heavy-duty vehicle repair or equivalent combination of technical education/certifications/skill/experiences.
- Associate's Degree, BA/BS or Technical certification + up to 1 year experience
- 4 years of equivalent experience in a similar capacity Technician role.
- Participate in and complete all-in company required training
- Understand the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Ability to lift, bend, climb, stand, and walk for long periods of time; ability to perform moderately heavy laboring work
- Ability to exert oneself physically over long periods of time without tiring, which may include performing repetitive tasks.
- Communicates information (for example, facts, ideas, or messages) in a succinct and organized manner. Engages in effective two-way communication with individuals and groups.
- Ability to determine the type of tools and equipment needed.
- Ability to accurately judge which of several objects is closer or farther away from the observer, or the distance between an object and the observer.
- Use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- ASE T8 (PMI) certification
- ASE T3 (Drivetrain) certification
- ASE T4 (Brakes) certification
- ASE T5 (Suspension) certification
- ASE T6 (Electrical and Electronic Systems)
- ASE T7 (HVAC) certification
- ASE 608/609 certification*
- $27.55-$36+ hourly depending on experience
- Safety Boots & Safety Glasses reimbursement
- Uniforms provided with laundry service where available
- Technical training provided to advance your career
- Dedicated career path – ‘Over 50% of our front-line managers are promoted from within’.
- Health, dental, vision insurance starts DAY ONE of employment.
- 401(k) matching starts after 90 days, 100% match up to 6% contribution and an additional 2% discretionary contribution by the company.
- Accrue up to 192 hours (4-weeks and 4-days) of Paid Time Off starting the first year of employment.
- Tuition Assistance/Reimbursement
- Adoption/Surrogacy assistance
- Pet Insurance
- Multiple ERG, diversity groups, and company paid volunteer hours.
- Employee discounts on new vehicle purchases, cellphone plans, ridesharing, home/rental insurance, wellness/fitness incentives and much more.
We’re driving fleet optimization across the vehicle lifecycle. From fleet acquisition to end-to-end operations and disposal, optimization from beginning to end is critical – not just while the vehicle is in operation. Using the right data and tools to track, optimize and automate the full fleet lifecycle will help our clients win in the fleet future.
Cox Automotive Mobility | Waterbury, Connecticut
Cox Automotive Mobility | Springfield, Massachusetts
Cox Automotive Mobility | Springfield, Massachusetts
Penske Truck Leasing | Hartford, Connecticut
Penske Truck Leasing | Westfield, Massachusetts
Ryder System Inc. | Springfield, Massachusetts
Pep Boys | Wolcott, Connecticut
Pep Boys | Southington, Connecticut
Ryder System Inc. | Hartford, Connecticut
Republic Services, Inc. | Chicopee, Massachusetts