The General Service Technician must have a mechanical aptitude and is able to perform basic automotive services including mounting and balancing tires, tire repairs, oil changes, vehicle inspections and other less technical services while delivering an excellent customer experience. Responsible also to maintain clean and safe work areas in the tire and service department. The General Service Technician may be required to provide advice to and sell customers on automotive services and repairs that are recommended or required for their vehicle.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Learn how to diagnose and repair basic automotive including brakes, alignments, suspensions, cooling and electrical
- Continuously learn new technical information and techniques in formal training sessions in order to stay abreast with rapidly changing automotive technology
- Change engine oil and filter
- Install and perform tire maintenance
- Install batteries and check starting / charging systems
- Install headlights and other small bulbs
- Repair flat tires
- Install wiper blades
- Stock and unload tires
- Assist fellow technicians/mechanics in performing technical activities
- Keep store management aware of mechanical repair problems as they occur
- Clean and maintain an organized and neat shop
- Adhere to all company policy, procedure, safety and environmental rules
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A valid driver's license
- Passion for career as a Technician in the automotive industry
- Eager to learn and competitive drive to succeed
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- High School Diploma or GED
- Availability to work days, nights, holidays, and weekends as needed
- Successful completion of pre-employment background check
Physical Demands/Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Extensive standing, walking, pushing and reaching.
- Need full range of motion for reaching, bending and stooping.
- Repetitive movement of hands, arms, legs.
- May drive a vehicle if needed.
- Lifting of heavy equipment >100 pounds is required.
- May work outside and be exposed to weather.
- Exposure to adverse weather conditions, chemicals, odors, dirt and dust.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
SHIFTING CAREERS INTO HIGH GEAR
Pep Boys was founded by Navy veterans in 1921 and today, we proudly employ military veterans and reserve-duty servicemembers like you throughout nearly 1,000 locations and over 9,000 service bays. If you’re passionate about vehicles and servicing the communities that depend on them, your unique and valuable skillsets will be a perfect match for our service bays, distribution centers, or store support centers.
We offer a variety of career options across the United States and Puerto Rico, as well as extensive training and development opportunities and a wide array of health and wellness benefits. Our mission is simple: to make quality car care simple, convenient, and accessible for everyone.
At Pep Boys, we go further to help your career go farther.
Pep Boys | Joliet, Illinois
Pep Boys | Aurora, Illinois
Pep Boys | Naperville, Illinois
Pep Boys | Naperville, Illinois
Pep Boys | Arlington Heights, Illinois
Pep Boys | Chicago Ridge, Illinois
Pep Boys | Skokie, Illinois