At Houston Methodist, the Patient Sitter Flex position functions as competent and demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to communicate appropriately and carry out delegated nursing assistant level tasks for assigned age-specific, diverse patient population, providing appropriate level of observation and assisting in the delivery of patient care and services under the supervision of a licensed nurse. This position collaborates with the healthcare team to maintain a safe environment, ensuring suicidal safety precautions are implemented and will conduct 15-minute monitoring to ensure patient needs are met and records data established by policy and procedure, and reports observations and patient problems to the licensed nurse. The Patient Sitter Flex position may also perform basic patient care activities of daily living (ADL's) within unit specific defined limits and job scope and practices Patient and Family Centered Care in concert with Houston Methodist ICARE values: Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect and Excellence.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
- Promotes a positive work environment with the interprofessional care team. Participates in teamwork by responding positively to requests for assistance. Works well with others to make contributions to the work effort as a whole and facilitates problem resolution. (EF)
- Interacts with peers, staff and physicians in a supportive and respectful manner. Encourages open communication to achieve mutual understanding. Communication to promote both work efforts and problem resolution is clear and professional. Collaborates with all members of the interprofessional team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information in a clear and timely manner. (EF)
- Provides contributions towards improvement of department scores for turnover/retention/employee satisfaction on unit-based scorecard, i.e. peer-to-peer accountability. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
- Follows the patient and family-centered care standards and provides direct patient care under the direction of a registered nurse. Documents, where applicable, care administered, diagnostic measurements, treatments and procedures in accordance with established policies and procedures and cultural diversity and inclusion principles. Provides care in a manner that is congruent with cultural diversity and inclusion principles. Responds to the call light system, contacting nursing personnel as appropriate, and follows through with meeting patient needs. (EF)
- Provides routine or close level of observation needed to provide safety for a patient. Assists with vital signs, ADLs, bed and transfer activities, meal set-up and feedings. Organizes the work flow, problem-solves basic and routine matters, and manages multiple ongoing priorities, seeking guidance and assistance from licensed nurse, or management. (EF)
- Contributes towards improving department scores for patient satisfaction/experience on unit-based scorecard through peer-to-peer accountability, i.e. bedside shift handoff/report. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 35%
- Reports observations, conditions and problems of patients to licensed personnel to achieve desired patient outcomes. Collaborates with healthcare team to maintain a safe environment, ensuring suicidal safety precautions are implemented. (EF)
- Provides appropriate hand-off at change of shift at patient bedside to communicate and collaborate, promoting patient-centered care. Provides for the privacy of patients and families, keeping the safety of the patient in mind. (EF)
- Conducts every 15-minute documentation to ensure patient needs are met (four P's). Reports near misses and collaborates with the interprofessional health care team to improve patient safety. (EF)
- Contributes towards improving quality and safety scores on the unit-based scorecard, through peer-to-peer accountability. Supports initiatives to prevent conditions such as pressure injuries, patient falls, VTE, and hospital-acquired infections. (EF)
- Maintains visual contact with the patient and remains at arms-length. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Assists with patient and staffing needs (floats) across the service line or hospital as competencies allow. Utilizes time between heavy workloads efficiently and helps other team members. (EF)
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, minimizing incidental overtime. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 5%
- Seeks guidance and validation of knowledge base, skill level and decision making as necessary, especially in areas of question, from preceptor and assigned licensed personnel. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. (EF)
- Offers innovative solutions through participation in performance improvement projects and shared governance activities. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
- One year of direct patient care experience within the last three years or Nursing student currently enrolled in an accredited nursing program that has successfully completed at least one clinical rotation
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) or Certified/Registered Medical Assistant (CMA)
- Crisis Prevention Management certification within six months of hire
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Performs basic patient care activities of daily living (ADL's) within unit specific defined limits and job scope, such as assistance with patient elimination, hygiene, comfort, safety, nutrition, and progress activity.
- Completes required continuous training and education, including department-specific requirements and suicidal safety precautions
On-Call* No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above. Travel** May require travel within No Houston Metropolitan area, unless specific requirements outlined by department
May require travel outside No of Houston Metropolitan area **Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: _________________________
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation’s leading centers for medical education and research. In 2022, U.S. News & World Report named Houston Methodist Hospital to its prestigious Honor Roll for the sixth time. Also, in this year’s rankings, Houston Methodist Hospital was named the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the 11th year in a row. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 946 operating beds, 85 operating rooms and nearly 8,500 employees, Houston Methodist Hospital offers complete care for patients from around the world.
At Houston Methodist, Leading Medicine is more than a description of what we do; it's who we are. We take our responsibility as Houston's premier health care system seriously, and with a national reputation for excellence in patient care, innovation and research, we hold ourselves and the careers we build to a higher standard. Our culture is diverse, dynamic and challenging. We believe in our I Care Values and conduct ourselves with Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect for others and a commitment to Excellence. Discover the difference for yourself and join Houston Methodist.
You can click on the video links below to learn more!
· About Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClN3mmKT0EI
· Nursing at Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUfmVeansTo
· Houston - Best City to Live In: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzLQzGBjHJw
Houston Methodist | Houston, Texas
Houston Methodist | Houston, Texas
Houston Methodist | Nassau Bay, Texas
Houston Methodist | Houston, Texas