I. General Summary
Independently, responsible for the engineering, installation, configuration, design, maintenance and documentation for the enterprise network and all related and unrelated ancillary systems. Employees at this level are considered experts in their field who have extensive knowledge of network and security architectures, network design with the ability to provide direction and coordination to all engineers across the enterprise. They work independently, participating in long-range planning and managing technical projects while providing limited supervision and quality assurance checks for all engineers across the enterprise. As subject matter expert, you will be responsible for architecting all related infrastructure to keep up with new and emerging technologies.
II. Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. These are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Works with the various team across enterprise to understand their needs and design requirements.
2. Develops and implements enterprise network and security designs while determining the overall effects of the change on the enterprise. Responsible for creating processes for ongoing support of the solutions.
3. Makes recommendation to designated supervisor regarding the evolution of the overall enterprise wide network, security and monitoring architecture.
4. Primarily responsible for creating standards and working directly with team to check for quality assurance relating to configurations, implementation, documentation, security, and monitoring and change management to make sure that they are adhering to those standards.
5. Manages and coordinates activities with various disciplines in support of active enterprise wide projects.
6. Must have an extensive knowledge across multiple technologies designs and concepts within and outside of their discipline to resolve enterprise complex issues. Must be able to use expert knowledge to solve organizational issue in a creative and effective manner.
7. Defines needs by developing, modifying and interpreting reports that monitor enterprise wide network resource consumption.
8. Directly responsible for creating baselines to ensuring the enterprise network and security systems are maintained at optimum level for performance.
9. Provides technical expertise, assistance, training and limited supervision to team as required. Recommends and implements technical training requirements for the development of junior staff members.
10. Performs other related duties as assigned across the enterprise.
What You Need to Be Successful:
III. Education and Experience
1. Requires a Bachelor's degree in related discipline or equivalent level of professional experience.
2. Minimum of 15 years of experience relating to network infrastructure/architecture, remote access systems, Internet connectivity, support services and security based infrastructures.
3. Certification highly preferred.
IV. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Mastering in multiple technology disciplines that provides an in-depth knowledge of interrelationships of LAN/WAN//WLAN and various networking applications.
2. Ability to provide broad technical oversight in a team leadership role, and to act as a liaison between team and all levels of IS&T. Ability to perform daily work activities of the position assuring prompt and effective response to customer needs.
3. Ability to understand and adhere to systems security and control procedures in accordance with departmental, vendor standards and regulatory bodies.
4. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff.
5. Expert knowledge in analysis and problem solving, ability to work with other team and ability to assess customer needs and determining appropriate solutions.
6. Expert in TCP/IP, Routing and switching, Data Center Technologies, Load Balancing, WAN and security technologies.
7. Must be an expert in understanding quality assurance and network monitoring techniques that maximizes network, security systems and network, security application performance, troubleshooting network problems and outages, scheduling upgrades and collaborating with lower tier network engineers on network optimization.
8. Must be an expert in all layers of the OSI model.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. See Job Description
The University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) delivers a special blend of clinical skill, innovation and caring in each area we serve.
We share the research and specialized care for which our teaching hospital is known with our member hospitals, health centers, doctors and care teams, all of which are focused on the people we serve.
Our 13 hospitals in Maryland provide care to Maryland residents, the Mid-Atlantic region and beyond.
Our top priority is serving the health of people throughout the state. Each of our hospitals has worked for years with many local groups and individuals to address their area's most urgent health needs. UMMS's philosophy is simple: "Healthy communities are empowered communities."
University of Maryland Medical System | Columbia, Maryland
University of Maryland Medical System | Baltimore, Maryland
University of Maryland Medical System | Columbia, Maryland
Leidos | Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Unisys | Arlington, Virginia
BAE Systems | Mc Lean, Virginia
General Dynamics | Washington, District Of Columbia