Automotive & Diesel Technician
First Student, the largest provider of student transportation in North America, is now hiring a Fleet Technician!
First Student is proud to offer:
- $29+ per hour based on experience & qualifications (NOT flat rate)
- ASE certification bonus money & company-paid ASE testing and training materials
- Monday-Friday full-time shift schedule, and consistent, year-round work
- An excellent benefits package including medical, vision, and dental coverage, and 401(k) savings plan
- Paid holidays, vacation, & sick time
- Annual allowances for boots and prescription safety glasses
- Ongoing company training on state-of-the-art online system
- Opportunities for career advancement nationwide
- A great work environment!
Auto & Diesel Fleet Mechanic Major Responsibilities:
- Diagnose and perform accurately all phases of vehicle and equipment repair under minimal supervision. Repairs include brakes, engine tune-ups, suspensions, drive trains, transmission clutches and other repairs.
- Remove, overhaul and reinstall mechanical components with minimal supervision.
- Lead preventative maintenance (PMs), safety inspections and annual maintenance inspections.
- Ensure work orders are completed properly and accurately. Maintain records of all maintenance work completed including parts and supplies used.
- Notify supervisor of potentially dangerous equipment and corrective action taken.
- Evaluate completed work prior to release and seek approval where required.
- Lead road calls and emergency services as necessary.
- Adhere to FirstGroup standards, policies and procedures.
- Moves vehicles safely between job and work area.
- Perform other responsibilities as requested or required.
Auto & Diesel Fleet Technician Qualifications:
- Vocational or technical degree in vehicle maintenance is preferred.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- 5+ years of automotive or diesel repair employment experience or combination of education & experience.
- Advanced diagnostics skills and mechanical knowledge are required.
- Must have appropriate mechanic’s tool set.
- ASE certifications preferred. Must participate in company ASE certification program (company training, testing, and bonuses provided!).
- Strong computer skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to work assigned shift.
- Be subject to a drug test.
Apply today to join our team!
First Student (a division of FirstGroup America) is a leading provider of school transportation services. We operate in 460 locations across the US and Canada, working with school districts to provide safe, reliable, and cost-effective transportation for five million students per school day. We employ more than 48,000 people and operate and maintain over 43,000 buses.
We aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We strive to attract and retain a diverse workforce therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. First is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles California, First will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance. First is an equal opportunity employer and by doing so we will sustain and promote an inclusive culture that supports future growth for all.
- We have 100,000 employees across the Group
- We have revenues of approximately $8.13bn a year
- We carry 2.1 billion passengers a year
- We operate, manage or maintain combined fleets of 50,000 vehicles
We have five divisions which draw on common skills and expertise, but which are varied by geography, customer base and a mix of contract and passenger revenue. Our broad footprint in the UK and North America gives us experience of two of the most developed markets in the world for transport services, and a breadth of expertise across different regulatory and contractual environments.
This means we can be confident that, whatever the specific transport challenge is, somewhere across our business we have already identified and implemented a solution which will work.
We have a competitive advantage because of our scale and the diversity of our portfolio of businesses: We design and operate hundreds of networks in partnership with our communities, procure, maintain and operate around 50,000 vehicles; hire, train and manage 100,000 employees; and transported 2.1 billion passengers last year.
Our overall strategy is to leverage our scale and the breadth of our global expertise for the benefit of our local markets. Somewhere in our operation we have already developed best practice for virtually every element of our work. And if we haven’t yet, we have the breadth of employee knowledge and experience to know where to find it.
As well as serving a huge range of passengers in the UK and North America, we work with national governments, state and local authorities, school boards and universities to meet their transport needs. Partnership is at the heart of our success across our businesses. We work closely with procuring authorities, industry partners and communities everywhere, so we can best understand and respond to their specific needs and deliver solutions to congestion, helping stimulate local economies and deliver good value for customers. In turn, stakeholders know that by working with us, they have access to our depth of knowledge and the best of our global expertise.
Each of our businesses has a market-leading position in a sector which is key to driving economic growth and essential to creating strong and sustainable communities. As a private sector operator, we are well placed to deliver the most innovative and efficient solutions to the congestion which results from the growth of urbanization across the world. We continuously improve our performance by sharing best practice across our businesses. This allows us to deliver high quality, safe and reliable services which meet the needs of customers and the communities we serve.
“The U.S. military is one of the best-trained workforces in the world. We are very proud to support the brave women and men in our U.S. military by matching talented veterans with opportunities to play a critical role in the educational journey of our nation’s school children.”
–Paul Osland, President,
First Student, Inc.
FirstGroup America Inc. | Crest Hill, Illinois
FirstGroup America Inc. | Glen Ellyn, Illinois
FirstGroup America Inc. | Skokie, Illinois
FirstGroup America Inc. | Chicago, Illinois
FirstGroup America Inc. | Wheeling, Illinois
FirstGroup America Inc. | Glenwood, Illinois
FirstGroup America Inc. | Plainfield, Illinois
FirstGroup America Inc. | Westmont, Illinois
FirstGroup America Inc. | Glenwood, Illinois
FirstGroup America Inc. | Naperville, Illinois