This role can be based at one of our 10 US based manufacturing facilities here. Projects will occur across all US operating plants and therefore may require up to 75% travel at times.
As a member of the Construction Department reporting to the Project Manager, the Mechanical Project Engineer will work on Capital Projects including new installations and modifications and is responsible for all mechanical equipment and systems. This individual should be capable of working independently on small capital projects and the ideal candidate will also have a working knowledge of electrical systems making him or her a candidate to manage medium to large capital projects in the future.
(80%) Responsible for the mechanical portion of capital projects to include:
- Supervise mechanical design including plant layout, equipment arrangement, piping and instrumentation, plant utilities;
- Coordinate mechanical and electrical designs;
- Supervise structural design including buildings, foundations and slabs, access platforms, equipment and crane support structures;
- Develop specifications and purchase mechanical equipment and systems including process equipment, material handling equipment, complex machinery, fluid systems (hydraulic, pneumatic, and high pressure water), material conveyance systems, dust collection systems, storage silos, tanks, pumps, and valves - monitor and expedite deliveries;
- Work with Corporate EH&S group to prepare operating permits;
- Satisfy other permit requirements including local building codes and Insurance companies;
- Participate in project design review meetings and coordinate with vendors;
- Prepare installation scope of work, bid and award contracts;
- Supervise the installation of buildings and structures, mechanical equipment, and mechanical systems- coordinate with plant;
- Manage project scope, schedule, budget, and quality;
- Enforce corporate and construction department safety rules and regulations;
- Supervise mechanical system checkout, equipment startup, and turnover to plant;
(20%) Responsible for the development of Capital Project Requests to include:
- Scale up of process design as required for production (i.e. size tanks and pumps, determine flow rates, throughputs, etc.);
- Evaluate utility requirements and determine availability;
- Supervise preparation of equipment arrangement and P&I drawings;
- Prepare mechanical equipment lists;
- Solicit quotations for equipment and systems or estimate pricing using recent purchases;
- Develop installation scope of work for mechanical equipment and systems, buildings, foundations, platforms and structures;
- Solicit quotations for installation or estimate costs using sound engineering judgment;
- Review proposed design with plant operations, maintenance, and safety;
- Prepare overall project estimate, implementation schedule, and Capital Expenditure Request for management review.
The position responsibilities outlined above are in no way to be construed as all encompassing. Other duties, responsibilities, and qualifications may be required and/or assigned as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Mechanical Building Codes and OSHA standards (preferred).
- Knowledge of Equipment and Machine Design Standards and Specifications including AWS, ANSI, ASTM (preferred).
- Demonstrated advanced skills with the standard features of personal computers including word processing and spreadsheets (Microsoft Word and Excel, Project, Power Point, Outlook, and Internet Explorer).
- Developed a familiarity with and ability to work in Autocad drawing software including the ability to view and print drawings and make changes. Advanced drawing skills are preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and written/oral communication skills with the ability to relate well and cooperate with others to effectively coordinate activities and accomplish goals.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and continual diligence about follow-up.
- Strong desire to learn.
- Well organized, with the ability to multi-task.
- Must be able to lead and be a part of cross functional teams.
- Demonstrated ability to show initiative, work independently, and perform at a high level with little supervision
- BS Degree inEngineering is strongly preferred, equivalent or related education required.
- 4 or more years experience in an industrial manufacturing environment (sheeted process systems such as paper, steel, gypsum is preferred).
- Project Management Experience; Demonstrated Successful Execution including design and specification, purchase, installation, and startup of mechanical equipment.
- Experience with complex machinery and mechanical equipment;
- Experience with Utility and Process Piping Systems including pumps, valves, fittings and in line components, and pipe support systems;
- Experience with mechanical systems including Hydraulics, Pneumatics, High Pressure Water, Compressed Air, and Natural Gas.
James Hardie Industries is the world’s #1 producer and marketer of high-performance fiber cement and fiber gypsum building solutions. We employ a diverse global workforce of approximately 4,800 employees across operations in North America, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and the Philippines, and generated more than $2.9 billion in net sales during our 2021 financial year. We believe that home is a sanctuary and a canvas for self-expression without compromise. As the trusted innovator and industry leader in the markets where we operate, James Hardie empowers homeowners and building professionals alike to achieve their dream home with premium quality solutions that enable endless possibilities for design and aesthetics, while also delivering trusted protection and long-lasting beauty. Key to this effort is our dedication to our customers, market driven innovation, an inclusive and empowering company culture, and an unwavering commitment to our Zero Harm safety initiative. We also recognize the company’s ability to influence the communities in which we live and work around the world. While operating with a global mindset, we put great care into how our business impacts the local communities in which we operate and serve by sourcing locally, employing locally and delivering locally. Our business is fast-paced, and our people are smart in the way we solve problems, driven in our pursuit of results, and real in the way we build relationships and work together. We have opportunities available in manufacturing and production, sales, marketing, engineering, supply chain, accounting and finance, information technology, and more.
PepsiCo | Tampa, Florida
Crown Holdings | Tampa, Florida
James Hardie | Plant City, Florida
Turner Construction Company | Tampa, Florida
Plastipak Packaging | Plant City, Florida
Kelly | Lakeland, Florida
ClubCorp | Tampa, Florida
Graham Packaging Company, L.P. | Lakeland, Florida
AT&T | Tampa, Florida
STS Aviation Group | Tampa, Florida