NYU Langone Health
NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including five inpatient locations, a children's hospital, three emergency rooms and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute designated comprehensive cancer center, and NYU Grossman School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. For more information, go to nyulangone.org, and interact with us on LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Indeed, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Medical Secretary.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing basic support services for Medical Office intake operations. Assist with post-visit inter-departmental scheduling for patient visits, treatments, and procedures in collaboration with other areas within the Medical Center. Obtains pre-authorizations/certifications for treatments and diagnostic procedures as appropriate. May provide assistance to less senior staff and cover the front-desk as needed.
- Provides reception assistance (i.e. greet patients, answer calls, requests for assistance are directed to proper individual, etc.) Screens telephone callers in pleasant and a professional manner; handles call; take messages or directs caller to appropriate person or area.
- Schedules routine appointments and follow ups for visits and procedures that do not require/or have already been pre-authorized. Prepares the daily schedule. Refers all inquiries regarding pre-authorizations/certifications to the Medical Secretary.
- Responsible for patient check-in and check-out. Gathers all patient demographic related data and materials from patients and/or their representatives. Obtains insurance information (ID card, member/group #s, etc.), verifies insurance eligibility electronically, takes their picture and asks them to use Patient Secure. On subsequent visits, asks them to verify demographic info and makes any necessary edits. Collect and ask patients to sign patient related documents including HIPAA, MSPQ, ABN, etc. Follow up with patients and/or their representatives, physician offices, etc to gather missing data and materials in order to complete the intake process, or refers to more senior level staff.
- Scan all necessary documents (insurance cards, lab requisitions, etc) into the intake system.
- Monitors intake work queue for timely intake completion.
- Refers patients who have a question regarding insurance coverage or are in need of counsel on financial matters based on established criteria (e.g., denial of electronic insurance eligibility, ABN questions/concerns, questions regarding insurance or pay-or restrictions, making payment, multi plan determinations, any and all issues/questions/concerns relating to financial matters) to the Business Office Associate.
- Maintains cooperative and professional relationships with physicians, nurses and office and clinical staff.
- Types routine material such as forms and letters, envelopes, etc. Types materials neatly, accurately and according to instructions. Writes materials clearly and legibly.
- Answers patient questions to ensure understanding and patient satisfaction, or refers them to more senior level staff. Maintains confidentiality on matters to which they are privileged.
- Maintains and receives files for area. Maintains files in organized and up-to-date manner in order to facilitate their retrieval. Completes filing in accordance with departmental procedures. Sorts and distributes documents and forms for area section. Distributes materials according to content of communications and departmental procedures. Logs in materials with respect to time and data when applicable. Processes incoming and outgoing documents. Completes forms neatly. Secures appropriate signatures and forwards documents/forms to correct destination based on pertinent Medical Center procedures. Maintains copy for files. Faxes documents in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Maintains supplies and cleanliness of space, restocks supplies as needed. Notifies supervisor of any shortage of supplies.
- May assist, provide guidance and/or train less senior staff with completing intake related duties.
- Prepares simple, routine memoranda letters, labels, routine manuscripts, correspondence and other documents as needed. Reviews work for accuracy and completeness. May maintain routine calendar, assist in basic preparing for conferences and the related duties.
- Maintains workload statistics and other data for departmental records. Records statistics in established time intervals designated by supervisor. Follows instructions given by supervisor and prepares information neatly.
- Primarily responsible for taking patient phone calls and scheduling over the phone. Greets and screens telephone calls in a pleasant and professional manner. Schedules appointments for visits, procedures and follow-ups. Collects patient demographic related data, electronically verifies insurance eligibility, coordinates pre-authorizations as appropriate, takes medical history, and assigns appointment to Physician based on procedure and insurance coverage. Refers Surgical and Infusion scheduling to Senior Medical Secretary.
- Post patient-appointment, coordinates inter-departmental scheduling for specialist visits, scans and procedures in accordance with insurance coverage, in compliance with physician directives. Collaborates with other areas of the Medical Center as well as Insurance providers to obtain pre-authorizations/certifications for treatments and diagnostic procedures, and ensures patient is eligible at the time of their appointment. Refers to Senior Medical Secretary for scheduling related to Surgery and Infusion.
- Responsible for Pre-Authorizations and Certifications with the exception of surgical procedures. Ensures that appropriate procedure and diagnosis coding is utilized in the pre-certification and verification process and questions physicians, if appropriate, to ensure accuracy and completeness of information.
- Performs other related duties as needed by providers and supervisors.
To qualify you must have a High School diploma. One year of relevant medical clerical experience. Must include prior physician practice experience and knowledge of medical terminology. Background in computer literacy preferred. Light, accurate keyboarding skills required. Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communications skills required.
Knowledge of computer-based scheduling and appointment programs. Excellent telephone skills.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Health's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.
NYU Langone Health, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, is one of the nation’s premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research, and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of five hospitals—Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, the Medical Center’s dedicated inpatient orthopaedic hospital; NYU Lutheran Medical Center, a full-service, 450-bed teaching hospital located in Brooklyn, and Hassenfeld Children’s Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children’s health services across the Medical Center. Also, part of NYU Langone is NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history, and the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute–designated cancer center. The Medical Center’s trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research.
NYU Langone Health | , New York
NYU Langone Health | , New York
NYU Langone Health | , New York