We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. We believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Our Clinical Research and Pharmacovigilance team push the boundaries of global healthcare through research and innovation. Through clinical trials and surveillance, we ensure the safety and efficacy of our existing and pipeline products to produce safe, effective, innovative medicine.
Our Clinical and Pharmacovigilance teams manage studies to provide the safety and efficacy data required for regulatory approval of potential new drugs, vaccines and new indications for existing products. We ensure we conduct high quality clinical trials by integrating state-of-the-art technology and applying rigorous scientific and ethical standards.
The Executive Director, Vaccines Global Clinical Development has primary responsibility for the planning and directing clinical research activities involving new or marketed drugs in the Vaccines Clinical Research group. The Executive Director will manage the entire cycle of clinical development, including study design, initiation, execution, monitoring, analysis, regulatory reporting, publication, and presentation at national and international meeting. He/she will provide internal scientific leadership for cross-functional areas supporting clinical trials and will interact externally with key opinion leaders.
Specifically, the Executive Director May Be Responsible For:
- Evaluating pre-clinical and translational work for the purpose of generating early clinical development plan and Investigational New Drug applications;
- Developing clinical development strategies for investigational or marketed vaccines that incorporate the latest scientific developments, regulatory requirements, the competitive landscape, and commercial considerations;
- Planning clinical trials (design, operational plans, settings) based on these clinical development strategies
- Monitoring and managing the conduct of ongoing or new clinical trials for investigational or marketed vaccines;
- Analyzing and summarizing the clinical findings from studies to support decisions regarding safety and efficacy as well as new drug applications, clinical study reports, or publication;
- Participation in internal and joint internal/external research project teams relevant to the development of new compounds, and the further study of marketed compounds; and
- support of business development assessments of external opportunities.
- Provide support for other therapeutic areas regarding clinical issues related to vaccines.
The Executive Director may:
- Manage Directors and/or Senior Directors responsible for Vaccines Global Clinical Development projects.
- Supervise the activities of Clinical Scientists in the execution of clinical studies.
- Work closely with a cross-functional Senior/Executive Director group of experts in commercialization, regulatory affairs, statistics, and manufacturing to manage clinical development projects; and assist the Vice President in ensuring that appropriate Corporate personnel is informed of the progress of studies of our company and competitors' drugs and internal and external expert opinion on scientific questions relevant to his/her areas of responsibility.
The Executive Director is responsible for maintaining a strong scientific fund of knowledge by:
- Maintaining awareness of scientific developments within his/her area of expertise, in terms of new scientific findings, research methodologies
- Identification of scientifically and operationally strong investigators who can assist in the development of our company's investigational and marketed drugs
- Establishing communications with prominent clinical investigators in his/her particular field of interest, particularly those who will be willing and able to assist in the evaluation of our company's drugs
- Attending appropriate scientific meetings to maintain his or her competency and to maintain awareness of research activities in his/her area of responsibility.
To accomplish these goals, the Director or Senior/Executive Director may:
- Author detailed development documents, presentations, budgets, and position papers for internal and external audiences
- Facilitating collaborations with external researchers around the world
- Travel on company business about twenty (20) percent of the time to manage future or ongoing clinical research projects.
- M.D or M.D./Ph.D.
- Must have experience in industry or senior faculty in academia
- Minimum of 3 years of clinical medicine experience
- Minimum of 3 (Director) or 5 (Senior/Executive Director) years of industry experience in drug development or biomedical research experience in academia
- Demonstrated record of scientific scholarship and achievement
- A proven track record in clinical medicine and background in biomedical research is essential
- Strong interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to function in a team environment, are essential.
- Board-certified or eligible in a vaccine-related clinical field such as Internal Medicine, Obstetrics-Gynecology, Family Medicine, or Pediatrics.
- Prior specific experience in clinical research and prior publication
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:1
Today's Merck is a global healthcare leader working to help the world be well. Merck is known as MSD outside the United States and Canada. Through our prescription medicines, vaccines, biologic therapies, and consumer care and animal health products, we work with customers and operate in more than 140 countries to deliver innovative health solutions. We also demonstrate our commitment to increasing access to healthcare through far-reaching policies, programs and partnerships. For more information, visit www.merck.com.
Merck & Company | North Wales, Pennsylvania
Merck & Company | North Wales, Pennsylvania