Leads in design planning for a company's technology architecture structure; implements hardware and software infrastructure.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Developing and monitoring the organization's technology architecture and playing a leading role in the vision and development of the company's future technology.
- Ensuring infrastructure installations and upgrades are made in accordance with established policies, procedures and software licensing agreements.
- Identifying, implementing and monitoring best practices for technology architecture, while providing expert advice on core infrastructure initiatives.
- Interpreting software requirements; designing software architecture and performance modeling.
- 8 Years Required; 10 Years Preferred
- University (Degree), Preferred
- Physical Requirements: Sedentary Work
- University (Degree)
TIAA has an opportunity for a Sr. Director, Data Architect to provide data oversight for the enterprise. This role will be responsible for leading the data architecture strategy, design and best practices for TIAA's (and its affiliates/subsidiaries) data platforms and related solutions, with overarching goals of reducing time to market, streamlining and modernizing our architecture, reducing risks related to data, incorporating observability and telemetry, improving agility of the organization, and facilitating our ability to leverage analytics and AI. Collectively, these efforts will support our transformation of TIAA into a data-driven enterprise.
This will include partnership with the various federated data organizations, data engineering teams, application development teams across the enterprise, Global Infrastructure Services, Global Cybersecurity, Cloud Business Office, and will require an in-depth understanding of the tools and services available in the market to develop actionable business insights and scale data platforms effectively and efficiently to solve the most demanding data and analytics needs.This position can be located in our Charlotte, NC, Iselin, NJ, Chicago, IL, Denver, CO, Broomfield, CO, Jacksonville, FL, or Dallas, TX office.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Lead data architecture strategy, design and best practices of TIAA's (and itsaffiliates/subsidiaries)data platforms and related solutions.
- Lead the development of patterns, standards and best practices in the data engineering and solutions space.
- Review and identify data solutions in collaboration with the technology teams across the enterprise
- Assess data implementation procedures to ensure they comply with internal and external regulations, policies and procedures.
- Oversee the migration of data and services from legacy systems to new solutions.
- Review current data platforms and solutions and recommend solutions to improve new and existing data capabilities.
- Expand data center of excellence and leverage it to upskill the organization towards next gen data platforms and solutions.
- Ensure data platform and solutions implement observability and telemetry features to be able to measure system and business performance.
- Ensure data architectures, platforms and solutions are properly documented and updated periodically.
- 8+ years of leading architecture, engineering, development and deployment of data platforms and related solutions in modern data technologies (e.g. cloud databases, Lakehouse, data virtualization, ELT etc.).
- 5+ years of working experience in architecting modern data platforms like Hadoop (Cloudera), Snowflake, EMR, Redshift, Databricks, BigQuery, MongoDB etc.) and develop solutions byintegrating/migratinglegacy data sources to those platforms.
- 5+ years' experience with traditional data technologies like RDBMS (such as Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, and Postgre), Data Warehouses (such as Teradata, OBIEE).
- 2+ years' experience with ETL tools like Datastage, Talen etc.
- Bachelors in computer science or information systems; Masters' degree in computer science or engineering field is highly desired, ideally with specialization in data related field (e.g. large scale data processing).
- Deep understanding of the overall cloud architecture and platforms, distributed computing (SOA, Microservices), networking fundamentals as well as software engineering best practices.
- Familiarity with data management and governance platforms like Collibra, WKC and how to integrate those with various data sources
- Understanding of real time data processing systems like CEPs and messaging platforms like Kafka
- Experience with Data Ops tools like Zaloni or DataIQ
- Architecture level understanding of Data Analytics platforms like Jupiter, Sagemaker etc and reporting platforms (Tableau, PowerBI etc.).
- Understanding and appreciation of balance between perfect architecture, cost, time, resources and other parameters to develop solutions within those constraints.
- Experience with open source data technologies beyond the core Hadoop stack (like Apache Atlas, Superset, Airflow, Druid, Presto, GraphQL, open telemetry)
- Experience with query optimization and performance improvement of data platforms and solutions
- Understanding of policies and controls and their implementation around data privacy and security (such as data lifecycle, encryption, access controls etc.)
- Understanding of infrastructure and their implication to security, scalability, resilience, recovery and performance of data platforms and solutions
- Experience partnering with various internal organizations as well as external ecosystems (such as vendors, startups, VC firms, universities etc.)
- Experience with DevOps or CI/CD process - build/deploy tools (Git/ANT/Maven/ElectricFlow/Jenkins)
- Experience with project management and reporting activities
Potential Salary: $199,100.00 USD
Actual base salary may vary based upon, but not limited to, relevant experience, time in role, base salary of internal peers, prior performance, business sector, and geographic location. In addition to base salary, the competitive compensation package may include, depending on the role, participation in an incentive program linked to performance (for example, annual discretionary incentive programs, non-annual sales incentive plans, or other non-annual incentive plans).
TIAA is the leading provider of financial services in the academic, research, medical, cultural and government fields. We offer a wide range of financial solutions, including investing, banking, advice and education, and retirement services.
TIAA requires all U.S. employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide documentation of full vaccination, unless you qualify for an accommodation as determined by TIAA consistent with applicable law.
Benefits and Total Rewards
The organization is committed to making financial well-being possible for its clients, and is equally committed to the well-being of our associates. That's why we offer a comprehensive Total Rewards package designed to make a positive difference in the lives of our associates and their loved ones. Our benefits include a superior retirement program and highly competitive health, wellness and work life offerings that can help you achieve and maintain your best possible physical, emotional and financial well-being. To learn more about your benefits, please review our Benefits Summary.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider all qualified applicants for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, sex, religion, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status.
Read more about the Equal Opportunity Law here.
TIAA offers support for those who need assistance with our online application process to provide an equal employment opportunity to all job seekers, including individuals with disabilities.
If you are a U.S. applicant and desire a reasonable accommodation to complete a job application please use one of the below options to contact our accessibility support team:
Phone: (800) 842-2755
For residents of California, please click here to access the TIAA CA Applicant Privacy Notice.
For residents of the EU / UK, please click here to access the EU / UK Pre-employment Notice.
For all other residents, click here to access the Applicant Privacy Notice.
Build a career that makes an impact!
From retirement, to asset management, to banking, we have opportunities for you. At TIAA, you’ll do meaningful work helping clients pursue financial well-being. Here, your voice is heard and your ideas are welcome.
Passion for life, meet money for life!
Helping those who help others find confidence in retirement is our mission. Founded 100+ years ago to help teachers retire with dignity, our reach now extends well beyond education. We stand hand-in-hand with 5M+ clients to help fortify their money and ignite their dreams.
At TIAA, we know our people make the difference for our customers. That’s why we offer diverse career opportunities and rich programs and benefits to support their professional and personal needs.
We here at TIAA support our Veterans, and Veteran Spouses by providing a business resource group dedicated specifically for Active Military, Veterans, and their families!
Join a winning team that has been awarded for:
- Top 50 Companies for Diversity 2020
- Worlds Most Ethical Companies 2021
- Best Companies for Latinas 2019
- 100 Best Companies for Working Mothers 2019
- Forbes Best Companies for Women 2018