At Houston Methodist, the Security Officer position is responsible for maintaining a safe and secure environment for patients, staff and visitors by patrolling and monitoring hospital premises and personnel. This position provides assistance with personal protection, traffic control and emergency response services. The Security Officer position may employ Houston Methodist-approved defensive tactics to ensure patient, staff and visitor safety.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE - 25%
- Maintains high customer satisfaction while providing the highest level of safety and security to patients, visitors, staff and assets. (EF)
- Uses professional telephone etiquette. Communicates effectively with management and coworkers on tasks, processes and procedures. (EF)
- Actively responds to requests for personal security coverage, assistance with directions, information and guidance. (EF)
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
- Secures premises and personnel by patrolling facilities; monitoring surveillance cameras; monitoring access points permitting entry as needed. (EF)
- Responds to all radio dispatches, answers calls and complaints and accurately assesses, responds timely, provides appropriate assistance and makes recommendations as needed for all emergent situations. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Accurately communicates and/or generates and completes reports by recording occurrences, information, observations, surveillance activities and conducting witness interviews. (EF)
- Responds immediately to all emergency codes and takes appropriate action. (EF)
- Maintains a safe environment, following all policies and procedures for safety, hazardous material, emergency preparedness and HIPAA. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Prevents loss and damage by reporting irregularities, informing violators of policy and procedures. (EF)
- Utilizes and maintains HM and department equipment according to manufacturer specifications. (EF)
- Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks. Uses resources effectively and efficiently; does not waste supplies, minimizing incidental overtime, optimizing efficiency in all areas according to department specifications. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Implements actions that promote workplace safety culture and proactively prevents workplace violence. (EF)
- Supports hospital and department goals and offers innovative solutions through participation in department projects. Assumes responsibility for self-growth and development by participating in in-services programs and continuing education (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
- Criminal justice, security or related experience preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) Private Security Registration non-commissioned Security Officer - submission of application within 14 days of hire date, and obtained within one year of employment or Commissioned Level 3 or Commissioned Personal Protection Officer Level 4 licensure
- Valid Texas Driver's License, or must obtain Texas Driver's license within 90 days of hire
- Nonviolent Crisis Intervention (CPI) Certification within 60 days of hire
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Must have the ability to multi task and function calmly in stressful situations
- Must possess strong customer service skills
- Proficient computer skills including, but not limited to, knowledge of Microsoft Office software and Webmail
- Knowledgeable of all Public Safety Policies and Procedures
- Understand HIPAA and Patient confidentiality compliance
- Demonstrates emergency preparedness knowledge
On-Call* Yes, on a limited basis (for Exempt jobs only)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within YesHouston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No of Houston Metropolitan area **Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: _________________________
As an ISO 9001 certified hospital, Houston Methodist West Hospital not only continues Houston Methodist standard of high quality, advanced technology and personalized care, it also continues the culture focused on employees, volunteers and physicians that Houston Methodist has been recognized for. Houston Methodist West Hospital offers competitive benefits, diversity in the workforce, recognition, and a unique environment focused on patient and family centered care with our I CARE values of integrity, compassion, accountability, respect and excellence at our foundation.
At Houston Methodist, Leading Medicine is more than a description of what we do; it's who we are. We take our responsibility as Houston's premier health care system seriously, and with a national reputation for excellence in patient care, innovation and research, we hold ourselves and the careers we build to a higher standard. Our culture is diverse, dynamic and challenging. We believe in our I Care Values and conduct ourselves with Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect for others and a commitment to Excellence. Discover the difference for yourself and join Houston Methodist.
You can click on the video links below to learn more!
· About Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClN3mmKT0EI
· Nursing at Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUfmVeansTo
· Houston - Best City to Live In: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzLQzGBjHJw