American Family Insurance is driven by our customers and employees. That's why we provide more than just a job - we provide opportunity. Whether you're already part of our team in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what's next, you're in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team. Bring your dreams.
R22541 C# .NET Developer - AWS - Open to Remote Worker (Open)
Compensation may vary based on the job level and your geographic work location.
The Application Development Engineer works independently and collaborates with others in the division to provide and maintain applications that meet business needs. The developer is responsible for software design and development for simple to moderately complex business solutions, working independently or at the direction of more senior technologists. Analyzes system problems and recommends alternatives for resolution. The Application Developer Engineer recommends opportunities to improve system effectiveness and efficiency. Works in a mainframe, client/server, business intelligence, and/or web environment for internally built applications or vendor packaged applications.
Application Development (45%)
- Designs and develops solutions to the level of quality defined by the requirements in adherence with I/S standards, methodology and internal controls. Identifies and provides solution alternatives for the defined functional and system requirements when needed.
- Understands and identifies system dependencies. Understands functionality, integration points and impacts of proposed changes to supporting applications. Follows through with options and recommendations.
- Provides appropriate documentation for design decisions, estimating assumptions, code modules, and performance metrics as required by organization standards.
- Defines, conducts, and/or participates in testing (i.e. unit, system integration). Prepares, leads and/or participates in development walkthroughs.
- Collaborates with others regarding effectiveness of systems flow, data usage and manual or automated processes to verify requirements.
- Ensures software development meets standards for programming, design, performance, quality, and security. Identifies and recommends areas for improvement in design, development, and testing.
- Participates in team activities and taking on additional work tasks as needed to help the team accomplish the desired outcome or goals.
- Creates, maintains, and/or enhances system documentation as needed.
Maintenance & Support (45%)
- Provides second-level and third-level support. Troubleshoots problems with supported applications and ensures problems are resolved to client satisfaction. Escalates to senior-level when needed. Provides alternatives for solving identified system problems.
- Follows and supports change management practices and internal controls standards. Communicates changes and impact to those affected. Assists less experienced technologists in all areas of maintenance and communication.
- Repairs, modifies, and develops additional functionality.
- Provides vendor system support.
- Creates and maintains service desk diagnostics and job aids for area of responsibility. Updates and/or reviews with those affected.
- Shares knowledge and information with others to resolve problems and build team knowledge.
Technical Leadership (10%)
- Participates in systems analysis, general systems design, specification development for vendor contracts, and detailed systems design as needed based on expertise.
- Recognizes and escalates quality, deadline, or deliverable issues within own work environment to team leads and/or management.
- Participates in knowledge sharing activities and technical conversations with peers to increase the overall knowledge of software development practices.
- Assists and holds others accountable for their commitments. Takes accountability for own deliverables; manages own tasks.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service
- Basic knowledge and understanding of integration and migration strategies and technologies.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of application architecture, design alternatives, and development standards.
- Demonstrated experience developing complex software/systems using one or more programming language.
- Demonstrated experience interpreting, modifying and writing application system design and program specifications.
- Demonstrated experience using and supporting integration and communications technologies between applications, databases and technology platforms.
- Demonstrated experience using relational databases and standard query language (SQL).
- Solid knowledge and understanding of systems development life cycle (SDLC).
- Solid knowledge and understanding of activities, tasks, tools and techniques for testing applications to ensure adherence to functional and quality requirements.
Additional Job Information:
C# .NET experience is required
AWS Cloud programming experience (Docker Containers)
Python is a Plus
Gitlab - Preferred, or similar
DevOPs CICD experience
Prior Insurance carrier experience is a plus
Based on candidate qualifications, we are open to hiring at other levels in the job family.
- Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of applicable background checks
- Offer to selected candidate is contingent on signing a non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade secrets, and invention
We are open to hiring a Remote/Work from Home employee, who would be able to work Central/Eastern Time Zone Hours.
When you work at American Family you can expect benefits that support your physical, emotional, and financial wellbeing. You will have access to comprehensive medical, dental, vision and wellbeing benefits that enable you to take care of your health. We also offer a competitive 401(k) contribution, a pension plan, an annual incentive, and a paid-time off program. In addition, our student loan repayment program and paid-family leave are available to support our employees and their families. Interns and contingent workers are not eligible for American Family Enterprise benefits.
We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Stay connected: Join Our Enterprise Talent Community!
For more than 85 years, American Family Insurance has built its reputation on sound principles. We strive to provide you industry-leading service, exceptional claims experience and products that build long-term relationships. This is accomplished by treating policyholders fairly in a helpful and caring way and making it easy and convenient to work with us. We know our customers like family. American Family Insurance thrives by conducting its business in accordance with the highest ethical standards and the law at all times. Integrity is part of our culture and always has been. The reputation we enjoy and trust-based relationships we have built with our customers are determined by the example set by management and the character and good judgment exercised at all levels of our organization. It’s a way of doing business that our customers have come to expect from us and a standard that we continue to live up to. 1-800MYAMFAM (1-800-692-6326)
American Family Insurance | Boston, Massachusetts
HERC - New England | Boston, Massachusetts
TIAA | Wakefield, Massachusetts
Applied Materials | Gloucester, Massachusetts
Raytheon | Tewksbury, Massachusetts
Athenahealth, Inc. | Watertown, Massachusetts
TJX Companies, Inc. | Marlborough, Massachusetts
HERC - New England | Boston, Massachusetts
Raytheon | Cambridge, Massachusetts
HCA Human Resources, LLC | Waltham, Massachusetts