At Houston Methodist, the Research Assistant III Bench position is responsible for providing senior level of support for laboratory-based research. Under minimal supervision will perform wide variety of complex tasks requiring practical understanding of scientific techniques and advanced knowledge of scientific theory. This position is expected to assist scientists, both independently and collaboratively, with laboratory and investigative procedures. The Lead Research Assistant Bench position performs various assays, imaging experiments, and other technical duties to assist with the research activities of the laboratory and may be required to work with animal models and/or human subjects. This position support may include bench techniques, work with laboratory animals, scientific writing, and data analysis.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Promotes a positive work environment and leads the team to be dynamic and a focused work unit that actively helps one other to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the laboratory by actively communicating and reporting data in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
- Participates in lab meetings. (EF)
- Role models excellent, clear and professional communication skills to achieve mutual understanding and problem resolution. Demonstrates a positive work environment and contributes to a team-focused work environment that actively helps one another achieve department goals. Collaborates with all members of the research team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent information as it relates to assigned system(s) in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
- Maintains animal handling within protocols and guidelines, which may include tail cutting, breeding, weaning, euthanasia, surgical procedures and animal husbandry. (EF)
- Performs bench chemistry, microbiology, molecular biology or other scientific techniques with sufficient autonomy under the general experimental guidance of the principal investigator. (EF)
- Performs collection of blood, tissue or other biological specimen. (EF)
- Assists with implementation and education of department-based safety initiatives and standards of practice. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Oversees equipment calibration, certification and maintenance agreements. (EF)
- Maintains safety, emergency preparedness, material safety data sheet (MSDS) and other laboratory specific procedures. (EF)
- Reviews work of research team. Collects, records, compiles and analyzes complex data. (EF)
- Leads the implementation and education of departmental based safety initiatives and standards of practice. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks. (EF)
- Contributes towards department financial targets, optimizing efficiency and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
- Develops or establishes new laboratory procedures, including biological assays, quantitative and qualitative analyses. (EF)
- Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Bachelors of Arts or Bachelors of Science in related filed.
- Four years of relavent experience in research and or academic field.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- May be required depending on position, refer to addendum if necessary
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Demonstrates independent judgment and discretion to recognize problems, identify causes and take corrective action
- Strong training, leadership, and mentoring skills
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, energetic, and able to prioritize multiple projects
- Ability to complete work within designated time frames
- Ability to offer suggestions and implement change to enhance efficiency and organization of office operations
On-Call* No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above. Travel** May require travel within No Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No of Houston Metropolitan area **Travel specifications may vary by department. Please note any other special considerations to this job: _Lab Environment_
A cornerstone of Houston Methodist's strategic vision as a source for leading care, Houston Methodist Academic Institute conducts ground breaking translational and clinical research to provide the best care to patients in our community and around the world. At Houston Methodist, fostering innovations with the potential for clinical application is at the very heart of what we do. Our interdisciplinary teams of clinicians and researchers are committed to streamlining the process of translating discoveries into treatments and cures for our patients.
At Houston Methodist, Leading Medicine is more than a description of what we do; it's who we are. We take our responsibility as Houston's premier health care system seriously, and with a national reputation for excellence in patient care, innovation and research, we hold ourselves and the careers we build to a higher standard. Our culture is diverse, dynamic and challenging. We believe in our I Care Values and conduct ourselves with Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect for others and a commitment to Excellence. Discover the difference for yourself and join Houston Methodist.
You can click on the video links below to learn more!
· About Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClN3mmKT0EI
· Nursing at Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUfmVeansTo
· Houston - Best City to Live In: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzLQzGBjHJw
Houston Methodist | Houston, Texas
Houston Methodist | Houston, Texas