The Perfusionist PRN must provide skilled operation of extracorporeal circulation equipment during any medical procedure that requires supporting or replacing a patient's cardiopulmonary/circulatory function as well as ensuring proper management of physiologic functions through appropriate skilled monitoring.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE - 20 %
- Communicates clinical information clearly and professionally as needed to physicians, operating room staff and nurses in ICU and acute care. Works well with others making contributions to the work effort as a whole.
- Facilitates problem resolution. (EF)
SERVICE - 10 %
- Assists with the transport of patients with ventricular assist devices for tests or procedures within the hospital.
- Documents patient transport activity. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 50 %
- Prepares, tests and operates the following equipment in accordance with standard perfusion practices to server patients: (EF)
- Extracorporeal Circulation (Heart Lung Machine)
- Autologous Autotransfusion (Cell Saver)
- Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump (IABP)
- Ventricular Assist Devices (VAD)
- Blood warmers and coolers
- Performs operational tests on all equipment related to an open-heart procedure before use. (EF)
- Completes all documentation related to open-heart procedures, including the Pre-Bypass Check List. (EF)
- Assists with insertion of intra-aortic balloon pump catheters. Makes rounds on patients with intra-aortic balloons in place to assess operation of the device. Documents findings from all patient rounds. (EF)
- Identifies and reports unsafe or malfunctioning equipment and unsafe operational practices to the Manager of Perfusion Services. . (EF)
FINANCE - 15 %
- Utilizes department resources/supplies efficiently. Maintains an organized and well-stocked work area. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 5 %
- Maintains current knowledge of regulations, laws, and standards which apply to Perfusion; Stays abreast of current applications of technology through personal study, individual contact, and/or professional organizations. (EF)
- Participates in clinical trials of new devices for circulatory support. (EF)
This position description is not intended to be all inclusive; and the employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other management as required. The Houston Methodist Hospital reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below in the Certificates, Licenses and Registrations section.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Perfusionist PRN positions are open only to previously employed Perfusionists with HMH experience within the Perfusion Services Department.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Certified Perfusionist from the American Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion
- Licensed Perfusionist with current Texas license
- Required BLS Certification: Certified in Basic Life Science by the American Heart Association
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
On-Call* Yes, on a regular basis (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within NoHouston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Based in the Texas Medical Center, Houston Methodist Hospital is delivering on a mission started in 1919, which continues today – bringing quality, integrity, compassion and innovation into everything we do. As the flagship hospital of Houston Methodist, Houston Methodist Hospital is a nationally recognized medical center with a history of health care innovation. Houston Methodist Hospital was awarded Magnet recognition for nursing excellence for a fourth consecutive time by the ANCC. In addition, Houston Methodist Hospital was recently named by U.S. News & World Report as one of the country’s top 20 hospitals and was also ranked the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the fifth consecutive year.
At Houston Methodist, Leading Medicine is more than a description of what we do; it's who we are. We take our responsibility as Houston's premier health care system seriously, and with a national reputation for excellence in patient care, innovation and research, we hold ourselves and the careers we build to a higher standard. Our culture is diverse, dynamic and challenging. We believe in our I Care Values and conduct ourselves with Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect for others and a commitment to Excellence. Discover the difference for yourself and join Houston Methodist.
You can click on the video links below to learn more!
· About Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClN3mmKT0EI
· Nursing at Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUfmVeansTo
· Houston - Best City to Live In: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzLQzGBjHJw