At Houston Methodist, the Research Assistant I Bench position is responsible for utilizing skills to provide technical research laboratory support in performing research experiments. This position maintains records of data collected. The Research Assistant I Bench position assists in the organization, tabulation and analysis of data under the direct supervision of the laboratory manager or Principal Investigator (PI).
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Actively participates in research planning meetings and provides meaningful contributions that drive decision-making and clearly identifies next steps. (EF)
- Demonstrates teamwork by responding positively to requests for assistance achieve optimal department results. (EF)
- Uses peer-to-peer accountability towards improvement of department score for turnover/retention/employee engagement. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
- Performs technical laboratory research. (EF)
- Accurately follows technical instruction in setting up and conducting experiments, including biological assays, quantitative and qualitative analyses. (EF)
- Provides updates on assigned experiments and research outcomes. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Maintains records of all tests performed and data collected. (EF)
- Ensures safe operation of appropriate laboratory equipment. (EF)
- Identifies opportunities for corrective action and process improvement providing recommendations; contributes to meeting department and hospital targets for quality and safety. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Evaluates and reports on inventory levels. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks. (EF)
- Assists department management in product evaluations and utilization of existing products. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
- Participation in the development or establishment of new laboratory procedures, including biological assays, quantitative and qualitative analysis. (EF)
- Trains in new techniques as they emerge as appropriate. (EF)
- Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a researcher. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Bachelor of Art or Bachelor of Science
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- May be required depending on position, refer to addendum if necessary
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Works well in a team environment, as well as independently, with minimal supervision
- Ability to prioritize frequently, quickly shift tasks, and adapt to a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to communicate effectively and escalate utilizing problem solving and decision making skills
On-Call* No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within NoHouston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: _Lab Environment_
A cornerstone of Houston Methodist's strategic vision as a source for leading care, Houston Methodist Academic Institute conducts ground breaking translational and clinical research to provide the best care to patients in our community and around the world. At Houston Methodist, fostering innovations with the potential for clinical application is at the very heart of what we do. Our interdisciplinary teams of clinicians and researchers are committed to streamlining the process of translating discoveries into treatments and cures for our patients.
At Houston Methodist, Leading Medicine is more than a description of what we do; it's who we are. We take our responsibility as Houston's premier health care system seriously, and with a national reputation for excellence in patient care, innovation and research, we hold ourselves and the careers we build to a higher standard. Our culture is diverse, dynamic and challenging. We believe in our I Care Values and conduct ourselves with Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect for others and a commitment to Excellence. Discover the difference for yourself and join Houston Methodist.
You can click on the video links below to learn more!
· About Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClN3mmKT0EI
· Nursing at Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUfmVeansTo
· Houston - Best City to Live In: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzLQzGBjHJw
Houston Methodist | Houston, Texas