At Houston Methodist, the Research Coordinator II position is responsible for coordinating the day-to-day activities of research protocols as well as assessing and determining qualification of patients for research studies. Under minimal supervision, this position is responsible for ensuring accurate data collection, documentation, organization and safety of research participants, gathering patient data for clinical research activities via methods specified in the study protocol and performs general administrative duties supporting the study.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Under the direction of the Principal Investigator (PI), drafts various communications with the Sponsor and/or regulatory documents to be sent to the Sponsor. (EF)
- Identifies and recruits clinical research subjects and monitors enrollment goals. (EF)
- May conduct in-services to floor nurses/physicians; assists in precepting new clinical research staff and educating other research staff regarding scientific aspects of studies. (EF)
- Teaches peers to critically think by verbally expressing rationale for decisions and follows up consistently. Uses peer-to-peer accountability towards improvement of department score for turnover/retention/employee engagement. (EF)
SERVICE - 20)%
- Participates in the Principal Investigator (PI) meetings. (EF)
- Schedules, coordinates, and participates in the pre-site visit and site initiation visits; coordinates study initiation. Obtains Informed Consent from study participant and documents appropriately. (EF)
- Obtains vital signs and performs phlebotomy per training and competence; monitors participants' labs and notifies the PI of laboratory findings. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
- Prepares Institutional Research Board (IRB) documents under the direction of the PI, assists with answering IRB stipulations to obtain final approval; documents IRB approval and contract approval. (EF)
- Maintains and monitors source documentation and appropriate forms as per protocol for quality and accuracy, including participant records; assists with the quality assurance process. Adheres to internal controls established for the department. (EF)
FINANCE - 20%
- Assists with the budget development and Medicare coverage analysis. (EF)
- Utilizes resources effectively and efficiently, demonstrating responsible financial stewardship. Manages own time effectively and prioritizes work to achieve maximum results in a timely manner. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
- Assists PI and/or research nurse in the planning and design of source documents for protocol. (EF)
- Assists in developing procedures for laboratory collection and storage. (EF)
- Incorporates directions from other health care disciplines into clinical research protocols when reviewing patient eligibility; assists in eliciting relevant data from sources outside of the hospital. (EF)
- Proactively manages own professional development and completes My Development Plan. (EF
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Four years of research experience
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Certified Clinical Research Coordinator (CCRC) or Certified Clinical Research Professional (CCRP) preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Ability to work independently
- Capable of handling challenging/difficult situations
- Demonstrates sound judgment and executes above average analytical skills
On-Call* No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above. Travel** May require travel within No Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: Patient care unit conditions,
Universal precautions required, significant potential for exposure to latex__________________________
A cornerstone of Houston Methodist's strategic vision as a source for leading care, Houston Methodist Academic Institute conducts ground breaking translational and clinical research to provide the best care to patients in our community and around the world. At Houston Methodist, fostering innovations with the potential for clinical application is at the very heart of what we do. Our interdisciplinary teams of clinicians and researchers are committed to streamlining the process of translating discoveries into treatments and cures for our patients.
At Houston Methodist, Leading Medicine is more than a description of what we do; it's who we are. We take our responsibility as Houston's premier health care system seriously, and with a national reputation for excellence in patient care, innovation and research, we hold ourselves and the careers we build to a higher standard. Our culture is diverse, dynamic and challenging. We believe in our I Care Values and conduct ourselves with Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect for others and a commitment to Excellence. Discover the difference for yourself and join Houston Methodist.
You can click on the video links below to learn more!
· About Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClN3mmKT0EI
· Nursing at Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUfmVeansTo
· Houston - Best City to Live In: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzLQzGBjHJw