Under supervision of Telecommunication Technician Lead and/or Communications O&M Supervisor, the Telecommunication Technician must demonstrate knowledge and experience working with special tools and be able to operate an OTDR and other basic test equipment. Individual must possess a vast knowledge and understanding of fiber optic systems and data communication. Technician must be capable of designing, installing, trouble shooting and maintaining company telecommunication systems and adjunct equipment. Additionally, individual must demonstrate a clear understanding of the concepts and procedures associated with best practices in the telecommunication field. Responsible for interpreting and utilizing as build inter-connect (IC) drawings or wiring schematics to ensure that the system is cabled correctly. Responsible for the installation, termination, and testing of cable connections that support NIPR/SIPR/VoIP services. Perform Inside Plant, Outside Plant, Cabling Boring & Trenching services. Perform OSP/ISP cable plant troubleshooting, repair, fabrication and installation to include, copper/fiber, patch panels, MDF’s, CAT 6, RJ-11, RJ-45 terminations, and perform necessary fiber optic, media converters, copper/fiber installation/repair/troubleshooting procedures. Understands and can install cabling and equipment in accordance with DoD TEMPEST standards, Army guide 3.15 General Cable Specifications, NSTISSI protective distribution system (PDS) installation guideline, I3A Standard as well as other regulations.
This position description is subject to change at any time as needed to meet the requirements of the program or company.
- Performs system analysis in support of the telecommunication system; identify and assess user requirements.
- Operate, maintain and install communications system, including outside plant (OSP) and inside plant (ISP).
- Utilize a variety of test equipment to isolate, identify, and analyze equipment; troubleshoot issues and take appropriate action to resolve the problem.
- Must be able to respond to emergency service-affecting situations for restoration of communication systems.
- Receives user initiated work orders through the Maximo system.
- Performs preventive and routine maintenance.
- Read and effectively communicate flow charts, equipment manuals and technical documentation.
- Perform other duties assigned or as required.
Education/Certifications: One year related experience may be substituted for one year of education, if degree is required.
- High School Diploma
- College degree or Equivalent
- Building Industry Consulting Services International - (BICSI) certification or equivalent.
- Fiber Certification preferred
- Customer Service Training.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must be able to obtain and maintain valid Secret Clearance
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to obtain a U. S. Government Motor Vehicle Operator’s License and host nation Driver’s License, is required.
- Approximately 3-5 years work experience in the telecommunication field, installing, trouble shooting, repair, splicing, and terminating and site surveys.
- Knowledgeable in the use of power tools and test equipment.
- Knowledgeable in reading drawing and understanding the communication installation process.
- Knowledgeable to act on unique or recurring customer problems.
- Capable of effectively communicating technical information in English, both written and verbal.
- Must be capable of using a variety of test equipment to isolate, identify, and analyze equipment; troubleshoot issues and take appropriate action to resolve the problem.
- Must have a solid working knowledge of the standard network physical layer components.
- Must be capable of working in an extreme weather conditions with temperatures exceeding 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Indoor and/or outdoor environment with very adverse and harsh conditions (i.e., hot, dry, duty, desert environment with average temperatures of 30 degrees in the winter and 130 degrees in the summer months).
- Includes some industrial production environment conditions as well.
- Light work. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Work may require heavy lifting, stooping, climbing, prolonged standing, prolonged sitting, and working with or in areas where a potential could exist for exposure to physical, chemical, or biological agents.
- Employee use of personal protective equipment (PPE) is required for some situations. PPE includes, but is not limited to, head, foot, torso, respiratory, vision, and hearing protective devices.
- Must comply with all Fire and Safety Regulations and post policies.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace that values and supports the contributions of each individual. This commitment along with our common Vision and Values of Integrity, Respect, and Responsibility, allows us to leverage differences, encourage innovation and expand our success in the global marketplace. Vectrus is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability. EOE/Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran.
Vectrus is a leading global government services company with a history in the services market that dates back more than 70 years. The company provides facility and base operations; supply chain and logistics services; information technology mission support; and engineering and digital integration services to U.S. government customers around the world. Vectrus is differentiated by operational excellence, superior program performance, a history of long-term customer relationships and a strong commitment to their customers' mission success. Vectrus is headquartered in Colorado Springs, CO, and includes about 6,700 employees spanning 129 locations in 22 countries. In 2018, Vectrus generated sales of $1.3 billion. To learn about career opportunities at Vectrus, visit www.vectrus.com/careers.