At Houston Methodist, the Transporter position is responsible for transporting acute, intensive and critical care patients in a timely manner by wheelchair, transcart, stretcher or bed. This position supports the interprofessional team in delivering high quality patient care during transit. The Transporter position moves inpatients and outpatients to diagnostic testing and therapeutic areas, clinics, physician's offices, admissions and discharges throughout the complex. This position will assist with preventing patient falls by retrieving the Hover Mat/Jack, lifting and moving the patient to a stretcher and transporting the patient back to his/her room. The Transporter position must be able to communicate appropriately and work closely with nursing staff and co-workers. This position delivers patient room furnishings such as bed extensions, sleep chairs, and transports empty beds, as requested, as a backup duty when others are not available.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Communicates to both Nursing, Imaging and other departments as to any delays. Participates as a team player with nursing, ancillary staff and coworkers for moving the patient to tests, treatments and procedures. Documents assignments completely per department protocol. (EF)
- Interacts positively and effectively with patients and guests, as well as internal customers. Promotes a positive image of the department and Hospital through verbal and non-verbal communication with all persons and complies with personal appearance guidelines. Uses appropriate communication device to limit conversations to ensure HIPPA compliance. (EF)
- Trains and orients new transporters. Makes appropriate customer service decisions with problem-solving, setting/communicating trip delays, canceling and recalling assignments. Provides contributions towards improvement of department scores for turnover/retention/employee engagement on unit-based scorecard, i.e. peer-to-peer accountability. (EF)
SERVICE - 30%
- Communicates to nursing department to notify staff of patient transport which includes reviewing patient passport for completeness and understanding for clarification of handoff, checks patient identification using two-step verification, prepares patient for transport identifying IV bags, foley catheters, or infusion pumps, etc., needing special handling. (EF)
- Maintains adequate supply of transport equipment in lobbies and equipment rooms, as appropriate. Clears equipment left on floors, in hallways and unauthorized areas by moving them to designated equipment storage areas or reporting the equipment to the dispatcher, as appropriate. (EF)
- Properly disposes of soiled linen on department and/or nursing unit and removes other items left on equipment such as urinals, bedpans, emesis basins, etc. Removes some equipment no longer needed for the patient care from the transport equipment and places it in the soiled utility room, as appropriate. (EF)
- Contributes towards improving department scores for patient satisfaction/experience on unit-based scorecard through peer-to-peer accountability and providing timely transports. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Reports observations, conditions and problems of patients to licensed personnel to achieve desired patient outcomes. Provides for the privacy of patients and families, keeping the safety of the patient in mind. (EF)
- Disinfects equipment before and after each use, allowing sufficient time for the disinfectant to dry thoroughly. (EF)
- Transports and stores oxygen tanks in approved holders. In collaboration with clinical staff as appropriate, ensures that oxygen cylinders selected are appropriate for use to reflect the current airflow status. Completes patient handoff when returning to department. (EF)
- Operates all transport equipment in a safe manner. Tags equipment needing extensive repairs, takes damaged equipment out of service and delivers appropriately for repair. (EF)
- Reports any potential harm or conflicting information to management for input in Patient Safety Net (PSN). Supports initiatives to prevent conditions such as pressure injuries, patient falls, and hospital-acquired infections. Contributes towards improving quality and safety scores on the unit-based scorecard, through peer-to-peer accountability. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, minimizing incidental overtime. Meets labor productivity standards by effectively managing established daily responsibilities and assignments. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Offers innovative solutions through participation in performance improvement hospital projects and activities. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis, including the development of advanced skills. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.) preferred
- One year of customer service, patient transportation or nursing aid experience preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) or Heartsaver within 90 days of hire/transfer
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Demonstrates working knowledge of stretchers, wheelchairs, mobility of IV pump or IVs and beds as they relate to safety measures
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of isolation, infection control and safety procedures. Practices universal precautions at all times when assisting patients
On-Call* No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within NoHouston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Based in the Texas Medical Center, Houston Methodist Hospital is delivering on a mission started in 1919, which continues today – bringing quality, integrity, compassion and innovation into everything we do. As the flagship hospital of Houston Methodist, Houston Methodist Hospital is a nationally recognized medical center with a history of health care innovation. Houston Methodist Hospital was awarded Magnet recognition for nursing excellence for a fourth consecutive time by the ANCC. In addition, Houston Methodist Hospital was recently named by U.S. News & World Report as one of the country’s top 20 hospitals and was also ranked the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the fifth consecutive year.
At Houston Methodist, Leading Medicine is more than a description of what we do; it's who we are. We take our responsibility as Houston's premier health care system seriously, and with a national reputation for excellence in patient care, innovation and research, we hold ourselves and the careers we build to a higher standard. Our culture is diverse, dynamic and challenging. We believe in our I Care Values and conduct ourselves with Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect for others and a commitment to Excellence. Discover the difference for yourself and join Houston Methodist.
You can click on the video links below to learn more!
· About Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClN3mmKT0EI
· Nursing at Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUfmVeansTo
· Houston - Best City to Live In: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzLQzGBjHJw