Diesel Technician/Mechanic II - Military Veterans
West Columbia, SC
**What’s the Job?**
Ready to move your career forward? As a Technician II at Penske, you’ll do exactly that. Here, you’ll perform preventative maintenance and repairs of all levels on the newest and best maintained fleet of vehicles in the industry. You will help our customers keep their vehicles in shape and on the road.
As a Technician II at Penske, you are a respected technician. You are trusted to work independently while doing major and minor repairs, performing road tests to diagnose problems and completing maintenance tasks. You set an example and informally mentor new technicians while continuing to grow your skills from learn from other experienced techs and your manager.
Why is this job awesome? For starters, your skills and experience are recognized. You’ll get to work on lots of different types of equipment—not just one manufacturer. We work hard to get the job done, but we also make sure you have the time you need to do the job right. Safety and reliability are our top priorities.
Yes, we know you have technician experience under your belt, and we’ll leverage that. But we’ll also teach you about our vehicle maintenance processes and the cutting-edge technology we use. And we will make sure you are continuing to get the training you need to advance in your career. You’ll be inspired and encouraged by the best in the industry. We take pride in how clean our facilities are, and we provide you with all the necessary major shop tools.
If you are an experienced truck and trailer technician and are interested in a stable career with a lot of opportunity for growth, join our team.
This position is located at 107 Saxe Gotha Drive. West Columbia, SC.
• Making sure vehicles are maintained and safe for our customers
• Doing preventive maintenance services on truck and trailer equipment with little or no supervision and in a timely manner
• Repairing and troubleshooting components such as, engines, transmissions and differentials, turbochargers, fuel system components, etc.
• Keeping your work area clean and safe
• Using Penske’s tools and technologies to log, research and complete repairs, including basic vehicle diagnostics
• Learning new skills through Penske’s technician training
• Working on other projects and tasks as assigned by supervisor
**Why Penske is for You:**
• Competitive starting salary
• Career stability
• Opportunity for growth
• Excellent benefits, including lots of time off
• Strong, well-rounded training on a variety of OEM equipment (Penske’s Technician Certification Program is certified as a Continuing Automotive Service Education provider)
• Advanced vehicle maintenance technology
• Location and schedule flexibility
• 3 years of practical experience with truck and tractor-trailer maintenance
• High school diploma or equivalent (required); vocational or technical certification in vehicle repair (preferred)
• Specialized training and experience in the diagnosis/troubleshooting of major components (engines, transmissions, differentials), OEM training courses, ASE Certification, and 608/609 certifications (preferred)
• Experienced using tools of the trade (including diagnostic equipment, hand tools, and power tools)
• Valid CDL driver’s license or a valid driver’s license and the ability to obtain CDL within 3 months (must also have or be willing to get an air brake certification)
• The ability to solve problems
• Excellent customer service skills and communication skills
• The ability to work well as part of a team
• Willing to work in non-climate-controlled conditions
• Basic computer skills
• Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of the job
• Willingness to travel as necessary within the district (customers’ yards, close geographical area and training sites), work the required schedule, work at the specific location required, complete Penske employment application, submit to a background screening (to include criminal checks, past employment and education) and pass a drug screening.
This position is regulated by the Department of Transportation or designated as safety sensitive by the company, and the ability to work in a constant state of
alertness and in a safe manner is required. Associates must have the ability to accept responsibility for their own safety, as well as the safety of others.
-The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
-The associate will be required to remember and understand certain instructions, guidelines or other information. The associate must be able to see and verbally communicate. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
-While performing the duties of this job, the associate will be required to move frequently, stand, walk, and sit. The associate is frequently required to use hands to touch, handle, and feel, and to reach with hands and arms. The associate must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 50lbs/23kg and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100lbs/45kg.
Penske is an Equal Opportunity Employer
When you join Penske, you’re joining a team that cares about doing its best. At each location, there’s a strong sense of teamwork. We’re all working together to move our customers forward. That’s true for the 9,000 vehicle repair associates who are working at hundreds of locations across the United States.
Penske Truck Leasing Co., L.P., headquartered in Reading, Pennsylvania, is a partnership of Penske Corporation, Penske Automotive Group and Mitsui & Co., Ltd. A leading global transportation services provider, Penske operates a premier fleet of vehicles and serves its customers from locations in North America, South America, Europe, Australia, and Asia. Penske’s product lines include full-service truck leasing, contract maintenance, commercial and consumer truck rentals, used truck sales,transportation and warehousing management and supply chain management solutions. Visit www.GoPenske.com to learn more.
**Work Locations:** 107 Saxe Gotha Drive West Columbia, SC 29172
**Primary Location:** United States-South Carolina-West Columbia
**Job:** Vehicle Maintenance/Mechanics/Technicians
**Penske (Oracle) Job Name:** Vehicle Maintenance/Mechanics/Technicians
**Req ID:** 2012493
West Columbia, SC
Founded in 1969, Penske Transportation Solutions is an $8 billion transportation and logistics industry leader that employs more than 36,000 associates at more than 1,100 locations worldwide. Whether it’s truck leasing, truck rental or logistics services, we have our customers’ backs. Penske Truck Leasing operates and maintains more than 326,000 vehicles, and provides full-service truck leasing, commercial and consumer truck rentals, and truck maintenance programs for commercial fleets large and small. Penske Logistics provides supply chain management and logistics services to leading companies around the world. Simply put, Penske moves lives and businesses forward.
Here, we support our country’s servicemen and women by offering a military discount on truck rentals at more than 2,400 convenient locations. But, it doesn’t stop there. We realize America’s veterans possess the unique skills and strong work ethic that lead to success. That’s why we make it our mission to hire thousands of veterans for the amazing career opportunities we offer. Consider a career with us. We’re always looking for veterans, like you, to join our team in a variety of roles, including as diesel technicians where you’ll use today’s cutting-edge technologies to take care of our customers – from individual consumers to some of the world’s leading companies. That’s not all. You could also join our team as a professional truck driver, fleet maintenance supervisor, operations management, as well as in logistics and supply chain operations. We’re proud of our commitment to hiring veterans and active Guard and Reserve personnel, and have received numerous awards for our support. Apply today at https://penske.jobs/veterans/