Supervisor - Laboratory (Chemistry) - Military Veterans
NYU Langone Health
NYU Langone Hospital - Brooklyn is a full-service teaching hospital and Level I trauma center located in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. The hospital is central to a comprehensive network of affiliated ambulatory and outpatient practices, and serves as NYU Langone Health's anchor for healthcare access, growth, and delivery in the entire borough. Learn more about NYU Langone Hospital – Brooklyn, and interact with us on LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Indeed, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Supervisor - Laboratory (Chemistry).
In this role, the successful candidate is responsible for the organization and operation of the section at all times. Performs all related duties as required in order to ensure all requirements are fulfilled and to improve the quality of patient care.
- Ensures compliance with all organizational and departmental policies and procedures and other regulatory requirements.
- Provides day to day supervision of test performance by testing personnel through direct and indirect observation
- Monitors laboratory processes to ensure that acceptable levels of analytic performance are maintained to include review and assessment of quality control, instrument and equipment maintenance, function checks, and other quality assurance activities.
- Assures that all remedial actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from the laboratorys established performance specifications. Communicates problems and non-conformances to laboratory management.
- Communicates problems and non-conformances to laboratory management.
- Enhances professional growth and self-development. Maintains a constant appraisal of the existing established procedures used in the department in contrast to newly available methods.
- In the event of non-conformance, ensures that results of tests examinations are not reported until all corrective actions have been taken and the test system is properly functioning.
- Ensures that all staff is trained and competent prior to performing testing on patients specimens.
- Conducts performance and competency evaluations for staff on a timely basis.
- Monitors the recording and reporting of patient test results
- Introduces new procedures and instrumentation for approval. Writes accurate policies. Trains, inservices and documents staff education as required.
- Designs appropriate work schedule and plans daily work assignments in order to maintain adequate staff for laboratory efficiency and to meet test needs and to control cost.
- Monitors quality control, quality assurance and safety control practices to assure compliance with hospital and regulatory requirements.
- Responsible for the Proficiency Testing Program. This includes monitoring, tracking and assessment of test performance through internal and external programs, reporting and implementation of any corrective action as required.
- Maintains an inventory of supplies of reagents, controls and equipment and stays within departmental budget.
- Takes responsibility to resolve problems appropriately that align with departmental policies
- Provides guidance to laboratory employees for the promotion of customer service to hospital staff and the community. Interacts courteously with co-workers and other health care providers
- Sets appropriate standards of laboratory decorum and performance
- Promotes good working relationships amongst laboratory staff through meetings and personal interaction.
- May be required to perform routine and special analyses.
- Handles required disciplinary matters in a fairly consistent manner. Maintains open communication with laboratory management and HR Department
- Interviews applicant and recommends hiring to laboratory management.
- Adequately trains alternate personnel to fill in during absence. Assesses competency for any supervisory function.
- Completes and delivers on all work commitments accurately, consistently and on time.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Provides on-going training, supervision and evaluation of staff on issues of cultural competence.
- Trained to recognize potential hazards in the workplace and proper procedures for handling hazardous substances. Those working in the Histology Department are trained in additional procedures for disposal of hazardous waste.
To qualify you must have an Associate in Applied Science (AAS).
Six years of appropriate clinical laboratory experience as a licensed Clinical Laboratory Technologist.
Required License, Registration, Certification: Licensed by NYS Department of Education as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Hospital - Brooklyn provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Hospital-Brooklyn is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Hospital- Brooklyn's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.
NYU Langone Health, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, is one of the nation’s premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research, and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of five hospitals—Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, the Medical Center’s dedicated inpatient orthopaedic hospital; NYU Lutheran Medical Center, a full-service, 450-bed teaching hospital located in Brooklyn, and Hassenfeld Children’s Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children’s health services across the Medical Center. Also, part of NYU Langone is NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history, and the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute–designated cancer center. The Medical Center’s trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research.