Location(s): WI - Ashland
Are you fit and ready to work hard at a challenging but rewarding job that doesn’t require you to sit behind a desk all day? Do you want to build a long-term career in a stable industry at a company that’s committed to treating you with respect, training you well and ensuring your safety? A field or skilled labor job at Xcel Energy could be the opportunity you’re looking for.
***NOTE: This position requires an assessment prior to interview consideration. We ask you to please carefully read the instructions below
We anticipate the need for one or more Apprentice Plant Attendant(s) or Advanced Step Plant Attendant(s) at the Bayfront Steam Plant located in Ashland, Wisconsin. The hourly pay for the position is as follows depending on who our top candidate(s) are:
1st Step: $23.08
2nd Step: $25.00
3rd Step: $26.92
4th Step: $28.85
5th Step: $30.77
6th Step: $32.69
7th Step: $34.61
8th Step: $36.54
Assists in the operation of boilers and associated equipment. Performs duties in all plant departments as required and directed. Able to gain the necessary knowledge and skills through worksite and formal training for upgrading to higher operating responsibilities. The employee will be expected to complete the apprenticeship program and training as established by the Apprenticeship Committee. Will be required, through training, to be thoroughly familiar with plant operating procedures and equipment, including pollution control equipment, and be capable of making sound decisions in any plant emergency.
1) High School Diploma or GED.
2) Must have basic computer literacy and proficiency with Microsoft Office products
3) Must have the ability to intelligently communicate constructively with plant personnel both verbally and in writing.
4) Must be able to work with minimal supervisor, have strong leadership and teamwork skills.
5) Must be customer focused, have good organizational and problem-solving skills.
1) Must agree to rotating shifts
2) Must pass physical and pulmonary function test and must abide by respirator policy.
3) Callouts, and overtime including weekends and holidays is required.
4) May be required to accept temporary assignments at other plants, as directed, by plant management
5) Must successfully pass the EEI Plant Personnel Test
6) Must complete the "Power Plant Fundamental" course sponsored by Xcel Academy during this apprenticeship and the employee is subject to all provisions of the Apprenticeship Training program as agreed by Company and local Union.
7) Relocation to immediate area of Ashland, WI will be employee's responsibility. Must reside within 20 mile radius of Bay Front Plant within the first 6 months of hire
8) A high awareness of safety and compliance with company safety rules is required at all times.
1) Additional technical training and/or experience with boiler, steam turbine and overall power plant operation.
2) Experience working with mechanical equipment, machinery and heavy equipment.
Steps in Xcel Energy’s hiring process
- All qualified candidates will be sent an online assessment via e-mail. Applicants must successfully pass in order to be further considered.
- Candidates who successfully pass the assessment will be contacted to come in for an information session and interview.
- After attending our information session/interview, our Team Leaders will collaborate to decide which candidates are best qualified and offers will be made.
- Candidates who accept the employment offer will be required to pass Xcel Energy’s background check and drug test. This process can take up to two weeks before clearance is issued.
- After successful passing of the background check and drug test, candidates are ready to start the training class.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: WI - Ashland || WI - Ashland || United States (US) || Generation || 62223:Bayfront || Full-Time || Bargaining ||
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $23.08 per hour
Click here to see our benefits
Requisition Number: 27583
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at email@example.com
Built to Last
We deliver energy; we deliver on our commitments
We are a major U.S. electric and natural gas company with annual revenues of $10.3 billion. Based in Minneapolis, Minn., we operate in eight states. We provide a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity customers and 1.9 million natural gas customers.
We have a straightforward strategy we call Building the Core. We invest in our core businesses to provide safe, reliable energy to customers at a reasonable price. We demonstrate our commitment to the environment. And we serve our communities.