Multimedia Journalist - Spectrum Networks - Greensboro, NC - Military Veterans
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means Youre ready to inspire and be inspired! Youre passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What were looking for:
The Multimedia Journalist (MMJ) role is responsible for researching, enterprising, developing, writing, shooting, editing, producing and delivering live presentation of local, compelling, creative and original news stories on deadline while capturing quality visual content. Contributes to special features and stories. Creates impactful and compelling content for the viewers in our local communities. Participates in coordinating coverage of major stories, breaking news and specials.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience.
- Research, pitch, enterprise, write, capture quality visual content, edit news stories and produce creative, original and compelling own stories for multiple platforms.
- Develop and cultivate a wide network of sources within the community and establishes a community presence outside of the newscast.
- Generate original story ideas and develop fresh angles/perspectives and enterprise pieces for the stories of the day and responsible for development of news stories from conception to completion.
- Produce original content for an assigned newscast or news series.
- Partner with legal team to ensure news content and materials meet legal requirements and help mitigate risk to the company.
- Identify long and short-term story ideas, research and discover the content and set up interviews.
- Research and verify information for original news stories by being resourceful in using beat sources, contacts and leaders and verifying facts.
- Deliver news reports, including live ad-lib and recorded reports while demonstrating energy, confidence, professional appearance and voice quality.
- Report within assigned deadlines.
- Organize material, determine angle or emphasis and write stories accordingly.
- Combine video, audio and graphics to tell the story effectively.
- Work with assignment desk editors and production staff and independently in the newsgathering process.
- Responsible for representing channel in a professional manner.
- Craft smart, appealing and accurate headlines.
- Strategically engage in social media.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skill/Abilities and Knowledge
- Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Strong story development skills to submit original story ideas on a daily basis
- Excellent news judgment and driven by the 24-hour news cycle
- Ability to edit stories as necessary
- Live shot experience required
- Ability to develop sources, work a beat, and break stories
- Strong on-camera skills
- Experience with bonded cellular technology
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and work under time pressure deadline
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; ability to clearly communicate solutions
- Ability to interface with internal company personnel
- Ability to handle breaking news on-air
- Proven ability to report live stories
- Ability to shoot video
- Must be a self-motivated and have the ability to build relationships
- Must have editing skills
- Must be adept at social media
- Must use curiosity and have a sense of urgency to build compelling stories about the local community and community members
- Requires adaptability, enthusiasm, initiative and a positive approach to problem solving
- Ability to drive a company vehicle to and from assigned location while obeying all traffic laws
- Valid drivers license for authorized driving in the State of residence
Education & Experience:
- Bachelors degree in Broadcast Journalism, Communications or related field or comparable television work experience preferred.
- 3 Years of Television News Reporting Experience
For more information on Spectrums benefits, please click here.
Spectrum's Product and Services are powered and innovated by Charter Communications, Inc. the leading broadband communications company in the United States. Our company provides a full range of advanced broadband services, including Spectrum TV™ video entertainment programming, Spectrum Internet™ access, and Spectrum Voice™. Spectrum Business® similarly provides scalable, tailored, and cost-effective broadband communications solutions to business organizations, such as business-to-business Internet access, data networking, business telephone, video and music entertainment services, and wireless backhaul. The advertising sales and production services are sold under the Spectrum Reach™ brand. News and sports networks are operated under the Spectrum Networks brand.
Our commitment to serving customers and exceeding their expectations is the bedrock of our business strategy and it’s the philosophy that guides our more than 95,000 employees.
Your next career can be as impactful as your last one. As a veteran or active military service person, you have the skills, talent, and training to make a difference at Spectrum. More than 11,000 veterans have already found a home at our advanced TV, Internet, Voice and Mobile company. You can find yours, too, in areas like Technical Operations, Field Operations, Network Operations, Construction, Engineering, Sales, and more. When you join us, you join a company dedicated to you and your success.