Under supervision of the Senior ESH Engineer, the ESH Engineer is versatile, self-starting, individual that works well, independently, with very little supervision, to support the development and improvement of a behavior based environmental, safety and health program. Performs both supervisory and non-supervisory duties; Work assignment will be in Industrial Hygiene and Environmental program management; must have an in-depth knowledge of sampling and analytical methods along with effective documentation of stressors; with extensive knowledge of Federal, Local, and Army environmental, safety, and occupational health methods, practices, principles and procedures to perform effectively; promotes a wide variety of training activities designed to achieve awareness of environmental, safety, and health hazards and corresponding preventive procedures; on a recurring basis, inspect facilities and organizations to cite legal violations, recommend corrective actions, and insure that hazardous conditions are eliminated. Works with managers, supervisors, leads, and officials to eliminate or control hazardous operations or conditions.
- This position description is subject to change at any time as needed to meet the requirements of the program or company.
- Establishes the contract-wide industrial hygiene and environmental programs to ensure that the Safety and Health Program incorporates current industrial hygiene standards, and, where applicable, conforms to Federal regulations.
- Significant experience using IH principles to anticipate, recognize, evaluate and control potential physical, chemical and biological health hazards present in the work environment as well as tracking and data analysis per recognized analytical methods so that appropriate regulatory
- standards can be applied to control risk.
- Experienced in environmental regulations, hazardous material management, pollution prevention program, spill control technology, and measuring/monitoring effectiveness of these programs.
- Communicates professionally, both orally and in writing, with other professionals as needed to relay scientific information necessary for job success. This includes, but is not limited to, staff meetings, performance appraisals, job requirements, metrics, projects plans, quality standard
- procedures, and practices.
- Communicates (manage from the floor type) with senior management, area supervisors and regulators, assist with preparation of required corporate reports; updates ESH data bases to help implement a complete ESH Program.
- Perform risk analysis, root cause analysis, and develop programs that exceed basic regulatory compliance, identify needed resources (such as personal protective equipment) and budget for resources, identify required training for employees in various operations.
- Inspects work areas for potential exposures and industrial pollution, safety and health non-compliance issues and reports findings to workplace leaders while recommending abatement actions for identified deficiencies; monitors corrective action and tracks task to completion.
- Observes compliance during workplace inspections; documents behavior traits during audits.
- Develops and/or reviews a variety of training lesson plans; presents environmental, safety and health training; presents orientation training.
- Sets a good example to the workforce by following all environmental, safety, and health regulations, policies, procedures and practices; keeps work area/equipment clean and orderly.
- Mentors Safety Professionals.
- Performs other duties and assignments as required.
Minimum Qualifications: Education/Certifications: One year related experience may be substituted for one year of education.
- Associates degree
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must be CAC eligible and/or able to obtain a Common Access Card (CAC)
- Minimum six (6) years experience as environmental, safety, and health specialist
- Three (3) years in a leadership position with experience in industrial hygiene and environmental compliance program management, with working knowledge of management systems such as OHSAS 18001 or ISO 14001, familiar with DOD, Army, EPA, and Federal regulations.
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science degree in environmental, safety, health or related discipline
- Military background and training
- Excellent communication, verbal and written, skills are also required along with a working knowledge of computer operations to include spreadsheet, database, word processing, and presentation applications; great organizational skills and a strong ability to work independently
- as a member of a robust team.
- Supervisory Responsibilities:
- Supervise two (2) to four (4) Safety Specialists.
- Must be capable of working in an extreme weather conditions with temperatures exceeding 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Indoor and/or outdoor environment with very
- adverse and harsh conditions (i.e., hot, dry, duty, desert environment with average temperatures of 30 degrees in the winter and 130 degrees in the summer months).
- Includes some industrial production environment conditions as well.
- Light work. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Work may require heavy lifting, stooping, climbing, prolonged standing, prolonged sitting, and working with or in areas where a potential could exist for exposure to
- physical, chemical, or biological agents. Employee use of personal protective equipment (PPE) is required for some situations. PPE includes, but is not limited to,
- head, foot, torso, respiratory, vision, and hearing protective devices. Must comply with all Fire and Safety Regulations and post policies.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace that values and supports the contributions of each individual. This commitment along with our common Vision and Values of Integrity, Respect, and Responsibility, allows us to leverage differences, encourage innovation and expand our success in the global marketplace. Vectrus is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability. EOE/Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran.
Vectrus is a leading global government services company with a history in the services market that dates back more than 70 years. The company provides facility and base operations; supply chain and logistics services; information technology mission support; and engineering and digital integration services to U.S. government customers around the world. Vectrus is differentiated by operational excellence, superior program performance, a history of long-term customer relationships and a strong commitment to their customers' mission success. Vectrus is headquartered in Colorado Springs, CO, and includes about 6,700 employees spanning 129 locations in 22 countries. In 2018, Vectrus generated sales of $1.3 billion. To learn about career opportunities at Vectrus, visit www.vectrus.com/careers.