Principal Back End Engineer - Military Veterans
Athenahealth is seeking an outstanding Principal Member of Technical Staff to implement back-end services for our Patient Experience Scheduling web applications.
As a Principal MTS focused on core web application development, you will need strong technical competence in multiple areas as well as the capacity to function well in an environment where you may not be the expert. The ideal candidate will combine the essentials of raw talent and a burning desire to succeed with a demonstrated history of working through complex business issues. You will work directly with our Engineering leadership and Product teams to help inform and prioritize business value, as well as working with Architects to ensure our solutions meet scalability, reusability, and quality requirements. You will lead and collaborate closely with a cross functional team of software developers to implement REST services that provide the business logic for our scheduling and referral web applications.
The ideal candidate will be well versed in modern server-side architectural and design patterns, an expert in the practice of Clean Architecture principles, and experienced in designing and building cloud-first, scalable back-end services in C#/.Net Core.
Education, Experience, and Skills:
- 8+ years of experience in web application back-end development (C#, .NET Core)
- 2+ years of experience developing and deploying cloud native applications, Azure highly preferred
- 4+ years of experience in an Agile/Scrum environment
- 2+ years of experience in full stack web application development (React, GraphQL) desired
- Development experience in Perl is a plus
- Proficiency with Atlassian tools (Jira, BitBucket, Confluence, etc) is a plus
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent training and experience
Behaviors & Abilities Required:
- Strong mentoring and coaching skills that encourage growth for junior team members
- Ability to learn and adapt in a fast paced environment while producing quality code
- Ability to write code that is technically sound, performant, scalable, and readable
- Ability to make decisions independently, driving towards the right solution
- Finds creative way to execute even when there is no historical context or known path forward
- Cultivates innovation; introduces new and better ways for the organization to be successful
- Ability to analyze and assess potential software designs with an eye towards finding the best solution for the business
- Ability to consistently achieve results, even under tough circumstances
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Technical Execution [Primary Responsibility]:
- Understand and follow coding conventions, architectures, and best practices; hold other members of the team accountable for doing so
- Participates in team member interview process as needed; influences final hiring decisions
- Understand, follow, and reinforce Scrum methodologies, coding conventions, architectures, build processes, and best practices
- Accurately estimate the size of development tasks in story points
- Adhere to DOD (story definition of done) as part of the sprint, including unit tests, functional testing, code reviews, no regressions, bug fixes, documentation and adhere to best coding practices
- Produce accurate, clear technical design specifications to the appropriate level of detail
- Critique technical documentation as needed
- Perform peer code reviews in order to ensure quality standards
- Deliver customer value in the form of high quality software components and services in adherence with policies on security, performance, longevity and integration testing
- Scale systems to meet business demand
- Deploy systems to meet availability targets (HA/DR)
- Exceptional skill in build/test failure analysis and troubleshooting
- Interested in and can quickly learn and leverage new and strategic technologies
- Proactively identify and propose new/alternative technology in order to create scalable implementations and achieve results
Contributions to the Team:
- Act as the subject matter expert for area of assignment
- Participate on scrum teams following practices outlined by team
- Contribute to agile ceremonies to improve team performance
- Take ownership of what the team builds after the release; consider customer adoption as success criteria
- Volunteer for work in the backlog and commit to quality delivery; Coordinate efforts across the team to ensure completion and effectiveness
- Drive self-organization; help determine how the team functions in collaboration with your peers
- Mentor, advise, and train team members to maximize overall productivity and effectiveness
Cross-functional Team Coordination and Communication:
- Work collaboratively across organizations to ensure alignment towards business goals
- Collaborate with members of product and UX teams to design solutions
- Build strong relationships with cross-functional team members of varying experience levels
- Share business and technical learnings with the broader engineering and product organization, while adapting the approach for different audiences
- Our Vision: To create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
- Our Location: This role is based in Austin, TX. Our beautiful office is the renovated Seaholm Power Plant, located across the street from the new Central Library and Lady Bird Lake.
- Our Culture: At athenahealth, our employees (or "athenistas") are committed to making healthcare smarter. Our success is dependent on the diversity, collective spirit, and contributions of our people, clients and partners. We value teamwork and believe that the strength of our team comes from supporting each other and leveraging our specialized skills. If you are looking for company that will enable you to work outside of your comfort zone to transform the healthcare ecosystem, athenahealth is the place for you."
- Our Perks: Along with health & financial benefits, our athenistas are offered a variety of perks that promote employee wellbeing such as commuter support (We were named one of the 2018 Best Workplaces for Commuters!), tuition reimbursement, collaborative workspaces and dog-friendly offices - just to name a few.
athenahealth is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity-that's why we recruit and hire applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, or any other factor prohibited by law. We're happy to provide a reasonable accommodation, for those with a disability, to complete any part of the application process. If you are unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, please contact us at
firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
athenahealth partners with hospitals and ambulatory customers to drive clinical and financial results. We offer medical record, revenue cycle, patient engagement, care coordination, and population health services. We combine insights from our network of more than 160,000 providers and approximately 117 million patients with deep industry knowledge and perform administrative work at scale. For more information, please visit www.athenahealth.com