Work Shift: NIGHT
Work Week: M - F
Full Time - Nights
At Houston Methodist, the Patient Care Assistant (PCA) Specialist position, under the direction of a Registered Nurse, functions as an expert and demonstrates highly competent knowledge necessary to communicate appropriately and carry out delegated nursing assistant level tasks for assigned patient populations, for providing high quality support of patient care and services. This position exercises sound judgement and executes proficient clinical skills necessary for assisting with patient-care procedures. The PCA Specialist position performs basic patient care activities of daily living (ADL's) within unit specific defined limits and job scope, such as assistance with patient elimination, hygiene, comfort, safety, nutrition, and progress activity and practices Patient and Family Centered Care. Other duties for this position include independently and expertly performing the duties and responsibilities of preceptor and clinical resource to PCAs, training and orienting others.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
1. Promotes a positive work environment that actively assists interprofessional care team to achieve optimal department results. Makes contributions to the work effort as a whole, by leading and initiating problem resolution within the work unit. Facilitates teamwork by anticipating the need for assistance and responding positively to requests for assistance. (EF)
2. Collaborates with all members of the interprofessional health care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. Teaches peers to critically think by verbally expressing rationale for decisions and follows up consistently. Facilitates open, professional, communication to achieve mutual understanding, role modeling by example. (EF)
3. Independently executes the duties and responsibilities of preceptor, serves as a clinical resource in the department, using advanced skills and competencies, guiding and mentoring colleagues¿ though processes in order to provide optimal patient care. Provides structured feedback with examples. (EF)
4. Initiates contributions towards improvement of department scores for turnover/retention/employee satisfaction on unit-based scorecard, i.e. peer-to-peer accountability. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
1. Role models the patient and family-centered care standards and provides direct patient care under the direction of a registered nurse. Documents, where applicable, care administered, diagnostic measurements, treatments and procedures in accordance with established policies and procedures. Responds to the call light system, contacting nursing personnel as appropriate, and follows through with meeting patient needs. (EF)
2. Assists with maintaining, cleaning, and stocking of equipment and supplies as established on assigned unit. May serve as an in-house courier which may include retrieving blood, hand delivering labs, tele boxes, etc. Organizes the work flow, problem-solves basic and routine matters, and manages multiple ongoing priorities, seeking guidance and assistance from preceptor, licensed nurse, or management. (EF)
3. Role models behaviors and skills, through peer-to-peer accountability, towards improving department score for patient satisfaction on unit-based scorecard, i.e. bedside shift handoff/report. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 35%
1. Reports observations, conditions and problems of patients to licensed personnel to achieve desired patient outcomes. Provides for the privacy of patients and families, keeping the safety of the patient in mind. (EF)
2. Provides appropriate hand-off at change of shift at patient bedside to communicate and collaborate, promoting patient-centered care. (EF)
3. Conducts hourly rounding to ensure patient needs are met (four P¿s). Reports near misses and collaborates with the interprofessional health care team to improve patient safety. (EF)
4. Contributes to identification of corrective action and improvement activities, impacting quality and safety targets on the unit-based scorecard, through peer-to-peer accountability, reporting near misses, and collaborating with the interprofessional team. Supports initiatives to prevent conditions such as pressure injuries, patient falls, and hospital-acquired infections. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
1. Assists with patient and staffing needs (floats) across the service line or hospital as competencies allow. (EF)
2. Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, minimizing incidental overtime. Role models effective time management and coordinates colleagues to meet the overall demands of the unit. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 5%
1. Develops skills of team members and continually assists with improving skills, performance and outcomes. Fosters a positive and constructive patient care environment by engaging co-workers in learning opportunities that are valuable and in alignment with department objectives. (EF)
2. Offers innovative solutions through participation in performance improvement projects and shared governance activities. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis, including the development of advanced skills. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
o Three years acute care hospital or post-acute care experience or two years Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic experience or Graduate Nurse (GN) who will be retaking the NCLEX for RN licensure
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
o For Skilled Nursing Facility(SNF)/Rehab departments only - Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
o Performs basic patient care activities of daily living (ADL¿s) within unit specific defined limits and job scope, such as assistance with patient elimination, hygiene, comfort, safety, nutrition, and progress activity.
o Demonstrates independence and exercises judgment in interactions with physicians, interprofessional care team, patients and their families
o Displays strong time management skills
o Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including but not limited to organizing workflows and actively participating in problem solving
o Demonstrates ability to access information both in the department and within the hospital system to support the department and interprofessional health care team as appropriate
o Possesses competent computer knowledge. Operates multiple computer systems including electronic health records, i.e., Epic, and Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, & Excel) to maintain patient information
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional No
Other (dept approved) Yes
On-Call* No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within No
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Clear Lake Hospital brings the expertise and compassionate care of Houston Methodist Hospital in The Texas Medical Center – a national Honor Roll hospital – to Bay Area communities. The hospital provides a broad spectrum of adult medical and surgical care, is an accredited chest pain center, and is also acute stroke-ready designated through DNV. Houston Methodist Clear Lake offers many inpatient and outpatient services including 3-D mammography and other state-of-the-art imaging, labor and delivery with a level II neonatal ICU, Cancer Center of Excellence, advanced laparoscopic surgery, comprehensive orthopedics and sports medicine, neurology, urology and otolaryngology. Also, Houston Methodist Clear Lake Hospital is honored to be the only hospital in the bay area to have a Grade A rating from Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grading.
At Houston Methodist, Leading Medicine is more than a description of what we do; it's who we are. We take our responsibility as Houston's premier health care system seriously, and with a national reputation for excellence in patient care, innovation and research, we hold ourselves and the careers we build to a higher standard. Our culture is diverse, dynamic and challenging. We believe in our I Care Values and conduct ourselves with Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect for others and a commitment to Excellence. Discover the difference for yourself and join Houston Methodist.
You can click on the video links below to learn more!
· About Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClN3mmKT0EI
· Nursing at Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUfmVeansTo
· Houston - Best City to Live In: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzLQzGBjHJw