Location:Atlantic Inertial Systems Limited, Clittaford Road, Southway, Plymouth, PL6 6DE
Bristol (Clevedon) preferred or Plymouth considered
Salary dependent on experience
Collins Aerospace, a unit of United Technologies, is a leader in technologically advanced and intelligent solutions for the global aerospace and defence industry. Created in 2018 by bringing together UTC Aerospace Systems and Rockwell Collins, Collins Aerospace has the capabilities, comprehensive portfolio and expertise to solve customers___ toughest challenges and to meet the demands of a rapidly evolving global market.
The Atlantic Inertial Systems (AIS) business units' history in the development of inertial sensors and systems can be traced back over 100 years and continues to evolve and innovate.__ We design and manufacture products for control, navigation and guidance for surface and air applications in the global aerospace and defence markets.__ We also use the technology in innovative ways to service the ever growing needs of a huge range of commercial applications through our joint venture company Silicon Sensing Systems Ltd (SSSL), see links below for more information on the technology and markets for both AIS and SSSL.__ Our world leading products include the innovative MEMS based inertial sensors and IMUs and the digital terrain reference navigation system, TERPROM__.__
On-going business growth is creating vast opportunities enabled by technology, so we are seeking Technologists to join our Technology Development team.__ We are developing a technology hub near Bristol, UK, so this role would ideally be located there but our primary site is in Plymouth, Devon UK, so that could also be considered.__ Elements of home working can be discussed but the role will require regular access to laboratory facilities and team face to face discussions and learning.
__A Technologist is responsible for the development, implementation and management of the introduction of new inertial sensors technologies and architectures.__ They will be able perform all or elements of the following:
- Be the primary point of contact on sensor and sensor systems developments;
- Translate future performance and cost requirements into device and product features;
- Perform value/complexity analysis of technology development features;
- Perform mathematical analysis to aid system trade off designs;
- Develop project plans for the implementation of technology features;
- Perform the design, prototyping and testing of those device features.
The role is in a multi-disciplinary team so the technologist has the support of colleagues with a range of backgrounds and experience.
We understand that inertial sensors are a niche technology requiring unique knowledge, so we will be keen to hear from candidates who feel they can demonstrate experience in a similar, transferrable technology development areas and are keen to learn about the technology and bring new perspectives.
Key aspects of the role:
This is a multi-disciplinary role, with a focus on the delivery of complex micro-scale structures and systems requiring experience of some of the following areas:
- Mixed signal electronics with a focus on embedded systems and sensor control
- Applied physics, ideally but not essentially, with a focus on sensor design;
- Transducer technologies and techniques;
- Micro-scale electro-statics and electro-magnetics;
- Sensor principles, parameters and applications;
- Chip-scale packaging sensitivities, materials and techniques;
- Appreciation or experience of ASIC design.
Our Technology Development team spans a wide range of skills.__ In order to complement the existing team___s capabilities, relevant experience in any of the following areas would also be desirable:
- MEMS manufacturing techniques and materials;
- Low level analogue electronics signal conditioning technologies;
- MEMS modelling techniques and tools;
- Precision closed loop control techniques;
- ASIC and MEMS interfacing;
- Mathematical modelling.
- 3+ years___ demonstrable experience of some of the Key Aspects of the role as identified above, ideally gained in a technology delivery environment, recognising the principle of transferrable skills.
- Qualified to a good level in Physics, Electronics Engineering, Control Engineering or a closely related discipline.
The role will include travel to UK and oversees__ to support technical meetings, conference attendance and training opportunities.
For some background information on the kind of technology, products and markets you will be exposed to in this role, see:
Please note that potential candidates will be subject to Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) and background checks and that project access restrictions may apply to some nationalities.
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
Raytheon: Aspiring to be the most admired defense and aerospace systems company through our world-class people, innovation and technology
Raytheon Company is a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, security and civil markets throughout the world. With a history of innovation spanning 91 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration and other capabilities in the areas of sensing; effects; and command, control, communications and intelligence systems; as well as a broad range of mission support services.