Senior Back End Engineer - Military Veterans
Athenahealth is seeking an outstanding Senior Member of Technical Staff to implement back-end services for our Patient Experience Scheduling web applications.
As a Senior MTS focused on core web application development, you will need strong technical competence in multiple areas as well as the capacity to learn quickly and function well in an agile team environment.
You must have both the talent and desire to succeed, and a track record of accountability and delivering on your commitments. As a member of a cross functional team that provides the business logic for our scheduling and referral web services, you will need the ability to collaborate successfully with developers, architects, UX'ers, and product managers.
The ideal candidate will be well versed in modern server-side architectural and design patterns, familiar with Clean Architecture principles, and have experience building cloud-first, scalable back-end services in C#/.Net Core.
Education, Experience, and Skills:
- 4+ years of experience in web application back-end development (C#, .NET Core)
- 2+ years of experience developing and deploying cloud native applications, Azure highly preferred
- 4+ years of experience in an Agile/Scrum environment
- 1+ years of experience in full stack web application development (React, GraphQL) desired
- Development experience in Perl is a plus
- Proficiency with Atlassian tools (Jira, BitBucket, Confluence, etc) is a plus
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent training and experience
Behaviors & Abilities Required:
- Ability to learn and adapt in a fast-paced environment while producing quality code
- Ability to write code that is technically sound, performant, scalable, and readable
- Ability to assess situations or problems from multiple angles to understand complete picture
- Ability to prioritize both individual time and the time of the team
- Ability to make decisions independently while ensuring alignment with team objectives
- Proven track record of following through on commitments and owning the outcome
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Technical Execution [Primary Responsibility]:
- Understand and follow coding conventions, architectures, and best practices; hold yourself and your team members accountable for doing so
- Participates in team member interview process as needed
- Understand and follow established Scrum methodologies, coding conventions, architectures, build processes, and best practices
- Accurately estimate the size of development tasks in story points
- Adhere to DOD (story definition of done) as part of the sprint, including unit tests, functional testing, code reviews, no regressions, bug fixes, documentation and adhere to best coding practices
- Produce accurate, clear technical design specs as required
- Perform peer code reviews in order to ensure quality standards
- Write, debug, and deploy code to production in a timely way; deliver timely fixes
- Deliver customer value in the form of high-quality software components and services in adherence with policies on security, performance, longevity and integration testing
- Demonstrate strong skill in build/test failure analysis and troubleshooting
Contributions to the Team:
- Learn the domain for area of assignment
- Participate on scrum teams following practices outlined by team
- Contribute to agile ceremonies to improve team performance
- Take ownership of what the team builds after the release; consider customer adoption as success criteria
- Volunteer for work in the backlog and commit to quality delivery
- Help drive the team's self-organization; help determine how the team functions in collaboration with your peers
- Mentor, advise, and train team members to maximize overall productivity and effectiveness
Cross-functional Team Coordination and Communication:
- Work collaboratively across teams to ensure alignment towards business goals
- Build strong relationships with cross-functional team members of varying experience levels
- Our Vision: To create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
- Our Location: This role is based in Austin, TX. Our beautiful office is the renovated Seaholm Power Plant, located across the street from the new Central Library and Lady Bird Lake.
- Our Culture: At athenahealth, our employees (or "athenistas") are committed to making healthcare smarter. Our success is dependent on the diversity, collective spirit, and contributions of our people, clients and partners. We value teamwork and believe that the strength of our team comes from supporting each other and leveraging our specialized skills. If you are looking for company that will enable you to work outside of your comfort zone to transform the healthcare ecosystem, athenahealth is the place for you."
- Our Perks: Along with health & financial benefits, our athenistas are offered a variety of perks that promote employee wellbeing such as commuter support (We were named one of the 2018 Best Workplaces for Commuters!), tuition reimbursement, collaborative workspaces and dog-friendly offices - just to name a few.
athenahealth is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity-that's why we recruit and hire applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, or any other factor prohibited by law. We're happy to provide a reasonable accommodation, for those with a disability, to complete any part of the application process. If you are unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, please contact us at
email@example.com for assistance.
athenahealth partners with hospitals and ambulatory customers to drive clinical and financial results. We offer medical record, revenue cycle, patient engagement, care coordination, and population health services. We combine insights from our network of more than 160,000 providers and approximately 117 million patients with deep industry knowledge and perform administrative work at scale. For more information, please visit www.athenahealth.com