ESD Systems Engineer, Staff - Military Veterans
Redondo Beach, CA
Strategic Space Systems Division (SSSD) is an industry-leading provider for launch systems capabilities serving national security, military, civil and commercial customers. We are built on a heritage of providing innovative, affordable and reliable aerospace and defense products that our customers rely on to achieve mission success. Join the Space revolution and make the impossible, possible.
SSSD has an opening for an ESD Systems Engineer, Staff to join our Specialty Engineering team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in Redondo Beach, CA and will specialize in Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) / Spacecraft Charging.
The successful candidate will bring with them extensive knowledge of ESD design at the device and system level, along with solid knowledge of the characterization and measurement techniques used in ESD development. The candidate will provide technical expertise across multiple programs as it relates to ESD, review technical documentation and participate in technical meetings. The role involves working closely with diverse teams within Northrop Grumman as well as external vendors.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead formal verification product development and mentoring in support of design sell-off against program Spacecraft Charging/ESD requirement.
- Review and tailor Spacecraft Charging/ESD requirements to meet specified product performance for all aspects of Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) design and qualification.
- Responsible for interpreting program Spacecraft Charging/ESD environments to identify antenna and solar array hardware elements which may require analysis or test to qualify.
- Provide support for test data analysis and interpretation, including presentation and defense of qualification efforts to customer and their technical contractors.
- Formulate Spacecraft Charging/ESD test plans, coordinate test execution, and assist the program hardware/sub-system engineers in performing the post-test analyses required to demonstrate the hardware is either qualified or is in need of design changes.
- Develop methods for mitigating charging of materials and structures from space environment electron flux.
- Create ESD test reports, procedures, control plans, and guidelines.
The individual should be a self-starter, versatile, problem solver, and have a willingness to work as part of a team; must be willing to travel occasionally to locations elsewhere in the corporation and/or customer site in order to assist in troubleshooting efforts, and attend design review meetings.
Northrop Grumman offers a competitive and robust benefits program. As a full-time employee of Northrop Grumman, you are eligible for:
- Medical, Dental & Vision coverage
- Educational Assistance
- Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Programs & - Work/Life Solutions
- Paid Time Off
- Health & Wellness Resources
- Employee Discounts
- Flexible Schedules: For example the ability to work a 9/80 work schedule, which allows an employee to work a nine-hour day Monday through Thursday and take every other Friday off of work
For more details, please view Northrop Grumman Benefits.
- Bachelor's degree from an ABET accredited university in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) discipline with 14+ years of experience in Systems Engineering OR
- Master's degree from an ABET accredited university in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) discipline with 12+ years of experience in Systems Engineering OR
- PhD from an ABET accredited university in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) discipline with 9+ years of experience in Systems Engineering
Candidate must have, and be able to maintain, the following active U.S. Government security clearances:
- Dept. of Defense Secret level with a background investigation date within 10 years OR
- Dept. of Energy L clearance with a background investigation date within 10 years
- Experience specializing in either Electro-physics, Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering Technology or other closely related STEM area.
Expertise in the following:
- A thorough understanding of the physics of Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) phenomena, including surface charging and deep dielectric discharge.
- Familiarity with the material properties that affect charging, with the limitations of handbook data and ASTM test methods as sources for those properties, and with alternate test methods required to measure those properties under space like conditions.
- ESD test experience, including triggered and sustained arcing.
- Extensive experience in failure and anomaly investigations.
- Experience in developing techniques and processes to mitigate ESD effects.
- Designing for LEO, MEO, GEO and other space environment.
- Space environmental effects in the aerospace industry.
- Working knowledge of spacecraft charging literature (e.g., Spacecraft Charging Technology Conference Proceedings, peer reviewed papers in IEEE Transactions on Plasma Sciences, Nuclear Sciences and Electromagnetic Compatibility, and in AIAA proceeding and journals), and standards (e.g., NASA TP 2341, NASA HDBK 4002A, NASA HDBK 4006).
- Developing methods for mitigating charging of materials and structures from space environment electron flux.
- Familiarity with ESD circuit modeling, including NASCAP and Lumped Element Modeling.
- Strong knowledge with SC Solar Arrays, antennas charging and discharging.
- Space Weather modeling, including both climatology and transient behavior.
- Design standards, analysis and test methods and supporting hardware designs within cost and schedule.
- Expert in Mathcad, MatLab and PSPICE analytical models for electrical and magnetic fields.
- Familiar with lab test equipment including oscilloscopes, data acquisition systems, thermal measurement equipment, signal generators, electrostatic voltmeters such as a TREK meter system and high voltage power supplies
- SCI Clearance
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Redondo Beach, CA
Become part of a team at the forefront of technology and the frontline of defense when you start Defining Possible with Northrop Grumman. We currently have opportunities across the world for those ready to solve our toughest challenges on land, sea, air, space and cyberspace.
With Northrop Grumman, you’ll be joining a culture where your voice is heard and contributions are valued. Launch your career and join the over 17,000 veterans pushing past possible every day to create and deliver the most advanced systems that connect and protect our world. Northrop Grumman careers and internships are as varied as your interests, with a lifetime of potential that will allow you to work together with people from many backgrounds, personal passions and disciplines.
© 2020 Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO.