Job Title: Maintenance Technician
Wage Status: Non-Exempt
Reports To: Maintenance Supervisor, Property Manager
General Job Description Purpose:
The purpose of this job description is to communicate the responsibilities and duties associated with the position of Maintenance Technician. It should also be noted that responsibilities and duties might not be specifically addressed.
General Position Summary:
The Maintenance Technician is to assist the Maintenance Supervisor in maintaining the physical integrity of the community. This involves ensuring a safe, secure and comfortable living environment for residents, visitors, and staff. The Maintenance Technician will carry out assigned duties in a safe manner and other duties as requested by the Maintenance Supervisor. In the absence of the Maintenance Supervisor, the Maintenance Technician will assume all maintenance responsibilities.
· The Maintenance Technician will conduct all business in accordance with company policies and procedures and all state and federal regulations (such as Lead Based Paint, ADA, Fair Housing, HAZCOM Program, OSHA, etc.).
· Must be knowledgeable of all pertinent laws and EPA and OSHA regulations.
· Must be aware of the condition of the property at all times and take immediate steps to correct any unsafe condition.
· Schedule and perform routine preventive maintenance on all appropriate equipment as directed by the Maintenance Supervisor and the Community Manager. Inspect and maintain all tools in excellent condition.
· Must be aware of all utility meter cut-offs, apartment and fixture cut-offs, and sewer clean-outs.
· Perform work area clean-up and safety related duties.
· Ensure that storage areas remain locked when not in use.
Diagnose and perform minor or routine maintenance or repair, as directed, involving the following on a daily basis:
1. Electrical and plumbing
2. A/C and heating systems
4. Water irrigation systems
5. Stairs, gates, fences, patios, railings
6. Tile, carpet, and flooring
7. Roofing, gutters, fasteners
8. Interior/exterior lights
9. Fireplaces, ceiling fans
10. Gas fixtures and appliances
11. Shutters, doors, cabinets, windows, sliding glass doors
12. Boiler, gas and electric
13. Door locks, P.O. boxes and locks
14. Security systems
15. Ceiling leaks
17. Pool areas, tile, hot tub/spa, pool furniture
· Inspect and help coordinate all needed market-ready repairs and services. Assist market-ready staff as required to meet deadlines.
· Report all major repairs and need requisitions to Maintenance Supervisor prior to any expenditure of funds.
· Change locks and make keys.
· Remove and transfer heavy appliances and equipment from storage area to apartment (or vice versa) as circumstances warrant. Assist in moving abandoned furniture, appliances, etc. to dumpster when necessary.
· Respond to any other requests made by the Maintenance Supervisor, Community Manager, Regional Maintenance Director, Regional Manager, or other company official as needed.
Education, Knowledge, Skills
- Current Certifications in EPA, CPO, Mold Class
- Minimum of 3 yrs experience in property management
- High School Diploma required
- High level of proficiency in written, verbal, and arithmetic skills
- Ability to plan and juggle multi task environment and lead maintenance team
- Ability to earn future designations as required by Industry standards, EPA regulations, OSHA requirements, etc.
- Must possess solid knowledge of carpentry, electrical, plumbing, etc. information as required by daily operations
- Must pass FCM Maintenance Skills Competency Test
The majority of time during a typical work day is conducted out on the property, requiring the ability to walk great distances, lift up to 75lbs., climb and be comfortable performing roof work, operate heavy machinery, and withstand extreme outdoor temperatures. A small portion of time will be spent in an office environment, maintaining records and vendor/supply ordering. The associate must have his or her own hand tools and some equipment as dictated by needs of the community and Regional Maintenance Director. The associate also must have reliable transportation and a method of contact by phone 24 hours per day/7 days per week as duty requires.
"Creating Relationships and Meaningful Moments with all who walk through our doors." First Communities Management (FCM) is one of the nation’s most successful apartment management companies. Founded in 1978, FCM has managed over 200,000 units and 1,000 communities. Our market reach has grown to include some of the industry’s most exciting submarkets including Washington, DC, Dallas, Austin, Atlanta, Houston, Raleigh/Durham, Charlotte, Greenville, Birmingham, Nashville and Central Florida. We sincerely value our relationships with clients who entrust us with the responsibility of managing their assets. The FCM family is comprised of individuals who embrace our core principles and are willing to go the extra mile for the client, their peers, and each resident. For over four decades, building relationships anchored by trust have earned us the reputation of superior service, attentiveness to client objectives and the industry’s strongest operating systems and financial reporting.