EMT Basic - Transport - $2000 Sign-On Bonus - Military Veterans
Work Shift: EVENING
Work Week: Varies
The Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Transport position is responsible for providing appropriate out-of-hospital advanced and basic life support care and transportation of patients in accordance with local, state, national and Houston Methodist's standards of care. This position is responsible for driving the ambulance to transport patients to/from emergency care centers to Houston Methodist, assisting in the delivery of patient care and services to diverse patient population and their families under direction of the Medical Director. The EMT Transport position performs patient care activities within unit specific defined limits and job scope. This position demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to communicate appropriately and carry out delegated tasks, to ensure patient needs are met established by policy and procedure, reporting observations and patient problems to the physician. The EMT Transport position practices Patient and Family Centered Care in concert with Houston Methodist I CARE values: Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect and Excellence and the Methodist Experience standards
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
1. Functions as a team member, responding willingly and positively to colleagues needs for assistance and partnership. Promotes a positive work environment with the interprofessional care team. (EF)
2. Interacts with peers, staff and physicians in a supportive and respectful manner. Encourages open communication to achieve mutual understanding. Communication to promote both work efforts and problem resolution is clear and professional. Collaborates with all members of the interprofessional team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information in a clear and timely manner. (EF)
3. Contributes towards improvement of department scores for turnover/retention/employee satisfaction, i.e. peer-to-peer accountability. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
1. Provides safe and efficient transport of the patient in the ambulance. Provides a safe and efficient transfer of patient and patient care information to the receiving personnel at the destination. (EF)
2. Delivers careful handling of the patient to and from the ambulance, in a manner that is congruent with cultural diversity and inclusion principles. (EF)
3. Administers prompt and efficient basic and advanced life support care within the limits of licensure or certification and in accordance with approved protocols prior to and during transport. (EF)
4. Contributes towards improving department scores for patient satisfaction on unit-based scorecard through peer-to-peer accountability, i.e. bedside shift handoff/report. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
1. Accompanies and monitors high risk patients out of the department, as delegated. Provides for the privacy of patients and families, keeping the safety of the patient in mind. (EF)
2. Maintains and accurately processes and updates patient records, e.g., recording of patient¿s medications, identification labels, patients¿ valuables, etc. assuring all forms are properly identified with the patient's name and contents are completed correctly. (EF)
3. Contributes to identification of corrective action and improvement activities, impacting quality and safety targets on the unit-based scorecard, through peer-to-peer accountability, reporting near misses, and collaborating with the interprofessional team. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
1. Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Assists with patient and staffing needs (floats) across the service line or hospital as competencies allow. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, minimizing incidental overtime. (EF)
2. Maintains an orderly environment that facilitates access to supplies, equipment, and resource information. Assists in the inventory, monitoring and ordering supplies and medical equipment to maintain par levels. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
1. Develops own skills and continually improves skills and performance. Fosters a positive and constructive patient care environment by engaging co-workers in learning opportunities that are valuable and in alignment with department objectives. (EF)
2. Offers innovative solutions through participation in performance improvement projects and shared governance activities. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
o One year experience as an Emergency Medical Technician Intermediate (EMT I) or Advanced Emergency Medical Technician (Adv EMT)
o One year hospital experience preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Valid Texas Driver's License
o Advanced Emergency Medical Technician (Adv EMT) State of Texas
o American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
o American Heart Association Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) preferred
o Crisis Prevention Management certification within six months of hire/transfer
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Demonstrates independence and exercises judgment in interactions with physicians, interprofessional care team, patients and their families
o Displays strong time management skills
o Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including but not limited to organizing workflows and actively participating in problem solving
o Demonstrates ability to access information both in the department and within the hospital system to support the department and interprofessional health care team as appropriate
o Possesses competent computer knowledge. Operates multiple computer systems including electronic health records to maintain patient information
o Must be able to pass a basic EKG interpretation skills test
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
At Houston Methodist, Leading Medicine is more than a description of what we do; it's who we are. We take our responsibility as Houston's premier health care system seriously, and with a national reputation for excellence in patient care, innovation and research, we hold ourselves and the careers we build to a higher standard. Our culture is diverse, dynamic and challenging. We believe in our I Care Values and conduct ourselves with Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect for others and a commitment to Excellence. Discover the difference for yourself and join Houston Methodist.
You can click on the video links below to learn more!
· About Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClN3mmKT0EI
· Nursing at Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUfmVeansTo
· Houston - Best City to Live In: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzLQzGBjHJw