Supporting the Most Exciting and Meaningful Missions in the World
Reports to: Plumbing Supervisor
Performance Location: The individual filling this position will be supporting PAE on a contract for the US Department of State and working at the U.S. Embassy in Kabul, Afghanistan. Periodic travel with extended overnight stays may be required while working on related DOS projects in Afghanistan. Percentage of travel will vary significantly but on average is expected to be less than 10% of the total time.
Working Environment: The candidate will work on construction and maintenance sites including exposure to the dangers inherent with working on and traveling to such sites.
Work Schedule: This position works ten hours/day six days a week minimum. The candidate is on-call 24/7, participates in a duty phone rotation and must be willing to quickly respond to all critical issues.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assembles, installs, and repairs fittings and fixtures of heating, water, and drainage systems according to specifications and plumbing codes.
- Receives oral instructions or work orders concerning work to be done, and proceeds to accomplish the necessary maintenance, repair and/or installation all plumbing materials, parts, machinery and fixtures in accordance with acceptable industry practices.
- Interpret site and other trade drawings.
- Coordinate work with other trade supervisors as deemed necessary.
- Drive an official vehicle to transport tools, equipment and materials in connection with assigned tasks.
- Receives work orders indicating the location and the scope of work to be accomplished.
- Independently determines the problem and takes corrective action.
- Cuts openings in structures to accommodate pipes and pipe fittings, using hand and power tools.
- Fills pipes or fixtures with water or air observe pressure gauges to detect and locate leaks.
- Hangs steel supports from ceiling joists to hold pipes in place.
- Installs pipe assemblies, fittings, valves, water heaters, pumps, and fixtures such as sinks, and toilets, using hand and power tools.
- Installs underground storm, sanitary and water piping systems, and extends piping to connect fixtures and plumbing to these systems.
- Locates and marks the position of pipe installations, connections, passage hotels and fixtures in structures, using measuring instruments such as rules and levels. Measures, cuts, threads, and bends pipe to required angle, using hand and power tools or machines such as pipe cutters, pipe threading machines, and pipe bending machines.
- Assemble pipe sections, tubing and fittings, using couplings, clamps, screws, bolts, cement, plastic solvent, caulking, or soldering, brazing, and welding equipment.
- Repair and maintain plumbing, replacing defective washers, replacing or mending broken pipes, and opening clogged drains.
- Studies building plans and inspects structures to assess material ad equipment to establish the sequence of pipe installations and to plan installation around obstructions such as electrical wiring.
- Directs trade helpers engaged in pipe cutting and preassembly and installation of plumbing systems and components.
- Abides by all security, safety and health rules and regulations.
- Must be cognizant and abide all Embassy security rules and regulations, safety and health practices, and OSHA requirements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Experience and Qualification Levels:
The Plumber shall have the following experience for this position:
- The ideal candidate will have a minimum of five years hands on plumbing experience in operations and maintenance services with a minimum of three years of experience in large facility physical plant and building operations.
- Five years of experience as a journeyman plumber.
- Welding experience is preferred.
- Previous experience working with staff from varied ethnic and geographic backgrounds.
- Above average organizational and communication skills.
- Previous overseas experience in an austere environment is preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Software – Word, Excel, PowerPoint and MS Project.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards of the plumbing trade and related safety precautions and considerable skill required for the installation, maintenance and repair of plumbing systems and equipment.
- Ability to collect, analyze and summarize data and prepare daily reports and work orders.
- An AS degree in mechanical systems or related field from a two year college and/or equivalent field experience is preferred.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Must be fluent in speaking, reading and writing English.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills sufficient to effectively communicate with employees, management and the client.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Licensed Journeyman Plumber is required.
- Backflow Preventer certification is preferred
- Welding certification is preferred.
- Already possess a US Government issued Secret clearance or be able to obtain one prior to being hired is required for the position. Must maintain eligibility at the required certification or clearance level for the duration of the contract.
PAE is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.
EEO is the Law Poster
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
For more than 60 years, PAE has tackled the world’s toughest challenges to deliver agile and steadfast solutions to the U.S. government and its allies. With a global workforce of more than 20,000 on all seven continents and in approximately 60 countries, PAE delivers a broad range of operational support services to meet the critical needs of our clients. At PAE, we offer challenging roles, an inclusive environment to perform our best work and a sense of pride that we are valuable partners in work that matters. Join us and make an impact. Have a question about the opportunities at PAE? Please contact our Recruiting team at firstname.lastname@example.org and visit our career site at www.pae.com/careers for all open positions!