Title:DIEGO GARCIA: Lead Firefighter (Fire Crew Chief)
DESCRIPTION OF JOB TASK AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- This position requires excellent time management skills to effectively manage all training programs, staff and reports.
- The Lead Firefighter manages the day-to-day operation and maintenance of apparatus and personnel assigned.
- Lead Firefighter serves as a company officer, supervising a crew of Firefighters assigned to a specific apparatus.
- Lead Firefighter directly or indirectly supervises Drivers/Operators and Firefighters.
- Lead Firefighters may serve in the capacity of incident commander at emergency incidents.
- Lead Firefighters are responsible to the Fire Captain, Station Chief and/or Assistant Chief Operations.
- Lead Firefighters will consult with their Assistant Chiefs and Station Chiefs regarding day-to-day operations.
- Lead Firefighter also interacts with the general public and military officials, and conduct activities related to the Fire Department's Mission Statement.
- These interactions occur during routine day-to-day operations, emergency operations, training classes and exercises, inspections, and educational or informational presentations.
- Lead Firefighter’s job involves very complex emergency scene tasks and social interactions, which must be accomplished correctly without taking the time to reference procedures and policies, or to repeat tasks once they have been accomplished.
- Errors could lead to life safety hazards, property loss, or customer complaints. Lead Firefighters live and work in a fire station in 24-hour shifts.
- Lead Firefighters will perform routine day-to-day activities, such as training of subordinates, meeting with supervisors, planning and scheduling work.
- Outside of the fire station, work in all weather, under extreme emergency conditions (e.g., fires, hazardous materials, auto accidents, etc.) performing essential job functions.
- Conduct roll call and evaluate the readiness of personnel and equipment.
- Ensure that all assigned personnel are delegated specific station duties and/or support services duties and that they are carrying out these assignments.
- Complete personnel management-related written and computerized documentation (e.g., QM reports, payroll, leave requests, overtime records, etc.).
- Complete, maintain, and archive company-related documentation (e.g., station journal, incident or response reports, etc.).
- Make sure that assigned personnel have the resources needed to complete their jobs safely.
- Monitor the overall work performance and work quality of assigned personnel (daily routine work and emergency responses) for efficiency, effectiveness and safety.
- Conduct formal and informal counseling sessions with subordinates in order to correct work deficiencies and develop work skills.
- Document formal and informal counseling sessions with subordinates.
- Consult with the Station Chief or Assistant Chief regarding difficult problems, sensitive situations and routine coordination of personnel matters.
- Lead Firefighters will be required to be enrolled in courses to qualify as a Station Chief or Fire Captain and act within that capacity as needed.
- Subject to mandatory over-time and recall.
- Duty assignment(s) will be directed by a superior officer; not inclusive of this job description and as needed to complete the mission.
- All other assigned tasks as directed by superiors in chain of command.
BASIC JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Must speak, read, and understand English language.
- Must pass overseas medical screening and be in good health.
- Must hold country and Government driver’s license.
- Must secure and maintain Diego Garcia driver’s license.
- Must secure and maintain currency of airfield driver’s license.
- Must pass physical IAW NFPA 1500 & 1582.
- Must have experience with computers and be proficient with Microsoft Office products.
- Subject to random drug testing.
- Must pass Candidate Physical Agility Test (CPAT) annually.
- Must participate in the Physical Fitness Program (DoD I 6055.06).
- Must complete the required Emergency Vehicle Operations Course (EVOC).
- Must become certified as MAFTD or Aircraft mock-up operator, when opportunity presents.
- Maintain currency with all local proficiency and ancillary training IAW instructions, SOP’s & SOG’s.
- All promotions have a 12 months probationary period.
DoD CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Complete Department of Homeland Security, FEMA course (IS-100, IS-200, IS-700, IS-800).
- DoD/IFSAC/Pro Board (Firefighter I and II)
- DoD/IFSAC/Pro Board (Airport Firefighter)
- DoD/IFSAC/Pro Board (Driver/Operator – Pumper)
- DoD/IFSAC/Pro Board (Driver/Operator – Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting (ARFF)
- DoD/IFSAC/Pro Board (Fire Officer I) Fire Officer II is highly desired
- DoD/IFSAC/Pro Board (Fire Instructor I) Fire Instructor II is highly desired
- DoD/IFSAC/Pro Board (Fire Inspector I) Fire Inspector II is highly desired
- DoD/IFSAC/Pro Board (HAZMAT Incident Commander)
- DoD/IFSAC/Pro Board (HAZMAT Awareness)
- DoD/IFSAC/Pro Board (HAZMAT Operations with Mission-Specific Competencies, Personal Protective Equipment, and Product Control)
- DoD Approved (CPR – American Heart Association – Health Care Provider)
- DoD Approved (Emergency Medical Responder)
- Certain Requirements can be waived by the Fire Chief.
- Must be at least high school, technical or vocational course graduate; Associate or bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Must have experience at the company officer level with extensive fire instructor background.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
KBR is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, union status and/or beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
KBR Government Solutions ensures mission success for customers on land, at sea, in the air, and in space and cyberspace. We create value and drive innovation by combining engineering, technical and scientific expertise with our full life cycle capabilities, mission knowledge and future-focused technologies. We are known for excelling in complex and extreme environments and trusted to overcome the nation’s most pressing challenges. When it’s mission critical, customers call KBR first - We Deliver.