Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
At Houston Methodist, the Special Procedures Technologist I position is responsible for a variety of routine special procedure exams as well as diagnostic radiology procedures to include X-ray and Fluoroscopy (to include support for OR cases) and Interventional Radiology procedures of moderate complexity utilizing digital radiography and fluoroscopy techniques. Special procedures are invasive and utilize the injection or infusion of contrast media into veins or arteries; therefore this position will assist with patient preparation before procedures and perform proper sterile techniques including assisting physicians during procedures. The Special Procedures Technologist I position delivers exceptional patient care and adheres to radiation standards and guidelines established by governing agencies to ensure optimal patient safety and customer service.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
- Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
- Focuses on patient/customer safety
- Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
- Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
- Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
- Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
- Uses peer-to-peer accountability towards department goals for retention and employee engagement. (EF)
- Communicates effectively with others to facilitate providing the highest quality service during every customer and patient encounter. (EF)
SERVICE - 30%
- Performs special procedure exams as well as diagnostic radiology procedures to include X-ray and Fluoroscopy (may support OR cases) and Interventional Radiology procedures. Special procedures can be invasive; therefore the technologist will assist with patient preparation before procedures and perform proper sterile techniques. (EF)
- Proactively assesses, identifies and responds to the needs of the patient for adjustment or intervention to optimize patient care, image quality and patient experience. This includes: positioning, physiology, procedure preparation, and technical factors. Modifies technical factors to achieve desired imaging results and recognizes complications and limitations associated with certain procedures. (EF)
- Provides direct assistance to physicians during diagnostic or special procedures. (EF)
- Provides accurate explanations and instructions to patients and family members at an appropriate level utilizing verbal and non-verbal skills, terminology and language. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Follows safety standards and conducts all imaging procedures accordingly. Uses ALARA (as low as reasonably achievable) to protect patients, staff and general public, and follows radiation safety standards. Maintains proper sterile techniques for procedures, regularly practices aseptic techniques, and ensures compliance with radiation safety and infection control procedures. Complies with job, department and hospital safety standards, practices and policies. (EF)
- Reports “near misses” and inputs errors promptly into appropriate hospital patient safety reporting system to improve processes and identify trends. Contributes to identification of corrective actions and improvement activities, and contributes to meeting department and hospital targets for quality and safety. (EF)
- Performs daily imaging equipment quality control (QC) ensuring all imaging equipment is in safe working order prior to use. Reports any malfunctions to management and regularly practices preventive maintenance procedures; calls for service if needed. (EF)
- Utilizes critical thinking skills to observe and proactively address patient reactions (i.e. contrast media and medications) or potential outcomes and obtains assistance, as appropriate. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Provides accurate and complete documentation of patient procedures. Enters charges at the time service is delivered. (EF)
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Participates in department projects or shared governance activities. Assumes responsibility for growth and development by participating in in-services programs and continuing education. (EF)
- Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Technologist. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below in the Certifications, Licenses and Registrations section.
- One year experience as a Radiologic Technologist
- Experience in Interventional Radiology (IR) highly preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- American Registry of Radiologic Technologist in Radiography (ARRT (R))
- Registration as a Medical Radiologic Technologist (MRT-GC) or Temp Medical Radiologic Technologist (MRT-TMPGC) thru the Texas Medical Board
- American Heart Association BLS
- American Heart Association ACLS preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, Hospital / Radiology Information Systems and Office software to maintain patient and exam documents.
- Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers.
- Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including, organizing work flow and actively participating in problem-solving.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist West Hospital is committed to leading medicine in West Houston, Katy and surrounding communities by delivering the Houston Methodist standard of exceptional safety, quality, personalized service and innovation. The growing campus offers nearly 200 beds, 16 operating rooms and over 1300 employees, with access to the most innovative medical and surgical care available, including robotic and minimally invasive surgery, full-spectrum heart care, state-of-the-art imaging, cancer care, labor and delivery with a level II neonatal ICU, neurology and neurosurgery, orthopedics and sports medicine, outpatient rehabilitation and 24/7 emergency services.
At Houston Methodist, Leading Medicine is more than a description of what we do; it's who we are. We take our responsibility as Houston's premier health care system seriously, and with a national reputation for excellence in patient care, innovation and research, we hold ourselves and the careers we build to a higher standard. Our culture is diverse, dynamic and challenging. We believe in our I Care Values and conduct ourselves with Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect for others and a commitment to Excellence. Discover the difference for yourself and join Houston Methodist.
You can click on the video links below to learn more!
· About Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClN3mmKT0EI
· Nursing at Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUfmVeansTo
· Houston - Best City to Live In: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzLQzGBjHJw
Houston Methodist | Houston, Texas
Houston Methodist | Houston, Texas
Houston Methodist | Houston, Texas
Houston Methodist | Sugar Land, Texas